Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beard-Harvested Yeast!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beard-Harvested Yeast!

Saw this on White Lab's Facebook feed -- http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/rogue-a...ard-follicles/

Quote:
In cooperation with White Labs, samples were collected from Rogue Ales‘ hopyard and sent to White Labs for culture and testing. Sadly, all three samples proved incapable of producing a yeast suitable for brewing.

As a joke, nine beard follicles were carefully cut from the beard of Rogue brewmaster, John Maier. The follicles were placed in a petri dish and sent in for testing.

To the shock of the experts at White Labs, the beard samples had produced a yeast strain that was perfect for use in brewing. Additional testing was conducted and confirmed that the yeast strain was not Rogue’s yeast. White Labs’ Chris White said, “we were shocked and thrilled with this remarkable discovery.”
One more reason every brewer needs a beard. So mutant yeast can live in harmony.....

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH