Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Founder's Porter Clone - Partial Mash

Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
Cold crashing is another one of those things that is up to personal preference. A lot of people will tell you that it's not necessary to cold crash a stout, but I find it helps clean up the taste a bit (may just be in my head!).

Anyways, I'd let it ferment for at least two weeks. Then I usually cold crash at about 35-40F for about two days.
Great, thanks!

I'll have to see if my neighbour can fit the carboy into his spare fridge. Failing that an ice/water bath in a tote of somekind would have to do.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Liked 103 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Love Founders Porter - tagging this thread for future reference! Looks great.
So many recipes...

Fermenter: Lakewalk Pale Ale
Bottles: Loon Lake Smoked Porter, Pumpkin Ale, American Brown Ale
Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
And for the visually inclined!

Nice, I'm going to collect the ingredients so I can start this one during the cold weather because I can't keep my batch cold long enough for darker beers. Learned that with a dark ale. thanks for the recipe!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #24

I'm going to have to give this a try as I'm a huge fan of Founder's Porter. Will need to do an extract version with steeped specialty grains and I'll have some washed Irish ale yeast from a stout that's currently in the Primary.

Thanks for the post! and if anyone has tried this with an Irish Ale yeast (1084) please let me know how it turned out!

Corripe Cervisiam!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #25

Recently made this as my second brew ever. Never had a Founder's beer before, but I heard stellar reviews about them so figured I would give this a shot. I changed up a few of the ingredients based on what was available on morebeer.com. All of these ingredients can be found there. This is the recipe I used:

- 4 1/3 lbs Pilsner LME
- 4 1/2 lbs Rahr 2-Row Malt
- 1 1/4 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 1 lb German Munich Malt
- 1/2 lb Carapils Malt
- 6 oz Crystal 120L Malt
- 4 oz Black Patent Malt

- 1 oz Warrior Hops
- 1 oz Crystal Hops
- 1 oz Willamette Hops

- 1 Pack of Safale US-05

For the brew I followed the exact same instructions as the OP posted. I only used 1 packet of yeast instead of 2. Rehydrated and then pitched and it worked well. Left it in the primary for 4 weeks because I had time to kill, and by the time I bottled it was very clean and tasted AMAZING (and this was pre-carb). I have it sitting in bottles until Christmas Eve, and I have feeling based on what I've tasted pre-carb, this beer is going to be a total knockout. Thanks for the recipe JeffersonJ!