Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > North Wall Brewing Electric Brewery Build

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
SookeBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default North Wall Brewing Electric Brewery Build

Hey gang - I'm working on a PROJECT!

I've finally gotten to a point in my build that I have some pictures of stuff that I want to share. When we bought this house about 2 years ago, I knew that it was PERFECT for a larger, purpose-built brewery. I discovered TheElectricBrewery.com some time last year and have been salivating over it ever since.

Right now, I brew using some pretty basic equipment - a turkey fryer burner, big-ass aluminum pot and a cooler mash tun with stainless braid. I'm lucky enough to have gotten a free 100lb propane tank, and my equipment fits nicely in my well house, which, obviously, has a readily available source of water (its foundation is a 2500gal concrete cistern). The room is also small enough and very well insulated (to prevent freezing) that it works well as a fermentation room since there is already a heater in there (needed in the winter but not the summer, of course).

This is the new home of brewery 2.0, tentatively called "North Wall Brewing," since it occupies the north wall of my garage.

When we bought the place, the garage was neither insulated nor heated, so temperature swings are pretty wild in all seasons, especially the late spring and early fall when it's chilly at night and warm in the day. First order of business was to insulate and put up some walls:

We had an electrician run the lines for the heat before we did this. Due to a very, very busy summer I didn't have as much time as I'd liked to work on it, but finally managed to get the last of the OSB up a few days ago. This is the area NWB will occupy:

SWMBO wanted a ping pong table. She's better than I.

When I first thought about building the brewery, I assumed I'd be able to use this existing 220V outlet, but as you can see, it is a welding-type one that is only good for that purpose, something I learned from reading this and other forums and sites, thanks! Thankfully, I realized this before I put up the walls in the garage in that spot.

So I installed a new dryer outlet with the proper 30A 4-wire cabling, and ran it back to my panel where it now sits, waiting for a very expensive GFI breaker (at least $250) :-(

I got to work building the brew stand. First, I built a larger, modified version of it as my general-purpose work bench. A little higher, with a plywood top, and no bottom shelf, 8 feet long. Once that was done, I set to work on my stand. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Both stands, before sanding and staining:

I finished staining them last night, and I love the results. I used Minwax stain, Early American colour. We had cabinets with this stain at our last house. I love it.

I got that laundry sink for free - it's nearly brand-new. Since I'll really only be draining water and yeasties and non-toxic cleaning stuff, I'm going to run the drain for this either out the door into the grass, or through the wall and to a conveniently-located perimeter drain cleanout which drains the rainwater to a ditch below my property (probably the latter).

I got my hands on 3 used Sanke kegs, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to convert them and save some major bucks on this build. I guess I can always upgrade later. I cut the tops off them and I'll be ordering fittings soon. I will also be shining them up like a boss.

In the left of the following photo, you can see my 1" water line that will be connected soon - then I will run 1/2" pex to the sink and create connections for the HLT and chiller. Just cold water, for now.

I am considering (ie, pretty damn sure) I'm going to tile the wall behind the brew stand for ease of cleaning and of course protection - OSB doesn't like wet. I'll be building a wooden vent hood lined with some sort of waterproof paneling (likely the next project as it's quick and easy to do while I wait for parts to arrive).

I have ordered nearly all the parts for the control panel and I'm working on sourcing and pricing all my keg fittings. I can't WAIT to get this thing together!

Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see more progress.

Sooke is a beautiful place. I've visited a few times for long weekends.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see more progress.

Sooke is a beautiful place. I've visited a few times for long weekends.
Thanks! I love Seattle - basically the whole Pacific coast is pretty sweet, right? How about this September weather eh?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Very nice work so far! I'm working on a similar project, so I'll be following along and stealing all of your ideas. Keep up to great work!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh....one more thing. Definitely slap some cement board up on the wall and tile behind the brew stand. I'm using a combination of polished and tumbled travertine stone to match my basement bar build. Also, check out my ventilation hood if you need a couple of DIY ideas. I just couldn't bite the bullet and purchase a commercial hood, so I built my own. Here's the link if interested.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/hop...-build-283510/

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks Hoppopotamus - I am planning to use drywall behind the tile as this won't be a very wet area like a bathroom floor or shower.

I already had a look at your build for the vent hood - nice job. I'm going to build a simple box and construct it with similar lag screws and washers and of course stain it to make it match my stand.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds good. Keeps the pics. coming!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Over the weekend I connected the water from the crawlspace under the house to the line to the garage. What a headache trying to get a leak-free connection between the black poly water main and the 3/4" pex in the crawlspace! I think I finally got it.

All other connections were easy as pie, including the laundry tub and its drain, and a new exterior water tap for our driveway and kids' play area.

I also shined up those kegs somewhat. What a tedious, dirty job. I did NOT enjoy it at all, and quit before they were mirror shiny, plus I burned through all my Gator Grit finishing and polishing pads. One or two more sets of polish pads should make them look a little better.

I'm going to build the ventilation hood next, and tile the wall behind the sink and brew stand.

Speaking of that - I have exactly 4 feet of clearance between the top of my keggles and the ceiling in the garage. I'm building the vent hood out of either doubled-up (stacked) 2x8s or 2x10s (so the height of the hood will either be 14.5 or 18.5 inches). Where do you think I should put the hood? Right on the ceiling? Or mounted on the wall a few inches below? Obviously the balance is having enough room to work with above the kettles, but not so much that the steam billows out before getting sucked into the hood.

I think I will screw it into the wall anyway since the ceiling joists run parallel to that wall and might make it harder to secure into the ceiling anyway. But height is the question, yeah.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I spent way more time than I care to admit thinking about the height of my hood over my brew stand (see link in sig). I even added additional cross braces between the studs above and below where the hood is currently mounted so I could move it up and down if necessary in the future. In the end, I'm quite happy with exactly where I have it mounted. Our setups are pretty similar, so I'll take a precise measurement for you when I get home tonight and let you know.

What size fan are you planning to use in the hood?

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
SookeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
... I'll take a precise measurement for you when I get home tonight and let you know.

What size fan are you planning to use in the hood?
Thanks - I would appreciate that - got some feedback from Kal over at TEB.com, I'd love to see how yours is too.

Planning to use a 6" Vortex fan. It won't be a long run at all (straight out the wall) so I may even consider a smaller unit. I live on Vancouver Island, BC, and apparently those fans are the choice of the, um, "indoor horticulturalists" (the ones the police love so much), so they're easy to find locally.

I just hope I don't end up on some watch list when I buy it!