Costco Honey - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Costco Honey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
RC0032
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,133
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts



Anyone tried it? I have never done a mead mostly because of cost. But I was at Costco and 5lbs is $12. cheap!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
mrdillon5
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 32
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts


I usually use Costco honey. Our local one also sells a 6 lb package from the Sonoran Desert. Great stuff in my humble opinion

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,175
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts


I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
RC0032
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,133
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Posts: 1,145
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts


My Costco doesn't have that... it has 6# bottles of Mrs. Crockett's Hill Country sonoran honey. THat is what I have been using.
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,175
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.

It was OK for an off-the-wall experiment. I would describe it as "average". I entered it in a recent competition and it scored mid-high 20's.

The ABV was a surprise for me. I piled on the honey anticipating a semi-sweet or sweet FG, but that bread yeast just chugged along and it fermented out to something really low, like 1.006 I think.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
BBBF
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,376
Liked 98 Times on 80 Posts


I started off with Costco honey, but found it is possibe to find a beekeeper that will sell better honey at the same price. But yes, you can make a good mead with Costco honey, especially if you add fruit (I highly recomend Costco's frozen strawberries while you are there).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 641
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts


From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.


Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
vespa2t
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 251
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


I have used Costco clover and red star in orange and raspberry meads. Turns out fantastic. Just like everything if you take care with temp and such , things will turn out fine
__________________
-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
biochemedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Carnegie, PA
Posts: 2,158
Liked 222 Times on 167 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.


Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix
This is a great experiment Matrix! I hope you start a thread about this and post the results. I think you should choose a competition or two and enter both meads so you can get some objective/blind comparison...
__________________
Packaged: 15 Minute APA, Simple Cyser '14 (Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped!), Spiced Cider, Spur of the Moment Graff
Primary: Simple Cyser '15
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider (2014 & 2015)
Planned: Fruitcake Old Ale, Not Just for Breakfast Stout. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Costco Kirkland Honey Article delvorak Mead Forum 8 09-03-2012 04:40 AM
Help w/ braggot: Vienna + Honey + Honey Malt ghpeel Mead Forum 1 10-18-2011 03:32 PM
Is it a bad idea to mix cheap honey with expensive honey paddy711 Mead Forum 11 01-20-2011 08:22 PM
Cheap grade honey vs high quality honey MeadWitch Mead Forum 16 10-16-2010 02:43 AM
Blackseed Honey and Pine Honey at the Int'l Market? jkpq45 Mead Forum 0 10-08-2009 05:48 PM


Forum Jump