Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Costco Honey

Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Costco Honey

Anyone tried it? I have never done a mead mostly because of cost. But I was at Costco and 5lbs is $12. cheap!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
mrdillon5
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually use Costco honey. Our local one also sells a 6 lb package from the Sonoran Desert. Great stuff in my humble opinion

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 121

My Costco doesn't have that... it has 6# bottles of Mrs. Crockett's Hill Country sonoran honey. THat is what I have been using.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.

It was OK for an off-the-wall experiment. I would describe it as "average". I entered it in a recent competition and it scored mid-high 20's.

The ABV was a surprise for me. I piled on the honey anticipating a semi-sweet or sweet FG, but that bread yeast just chugged along and it fermented out to something really low, like 1.006 I think.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I started off with Costco honey, but found it is possibe to find a beekeeper that will sell better honey at the same price. But yes, you can make a good mead with Costco honey, especially if you add fruit (I highly recomend Costco's frozen strawberries while you are there).

Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.

Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have used Costco clover and red star in orange and raspberry meads. Turns out fantastic. Just like everything if you take care with temp and such , things will turn out fine

Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.

Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix
This is a great experiment Matrix! I hope you start a thread about this and post the results. I think you should choose a competition or two and enter both meads so you can get some objective/blind comparison...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider
Planned: Some sort of SMaSH. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....