Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Racking Beer and Yeast/Trub to Secondary

Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
BassBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Racking Beer and Yeast/Trub to Secondary

I'm planning on brewing tomorrow and my primary bucket is currently tied up with a RIS that's been fermenting for 6 days. Fermentation peaked about 3 days ago; now there's not much activity and krausen has fallen. Since I need to free up my primary, but don't want to remove the beer from the yeast cake too soon, could I rack everything in the primary bucket over to my secondary and allow it to continue doing it's thing? Any reasons not to do this? Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Spend the $15 and buy another bucket.

Though a small chance, why risk a stuck ferment, oxidation, or possible infection? Not worth it for the minimal cost of an worthwhile addition to your home brewery IMO

Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
wiescins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Spend the $15 and buy another bucket.

Though a small chance, why risk a stuck ferment, oxidation, or possible infection? Not worth it for the minimal cost of an worthwhile addition to your home brewery IMO
ditto. or wait a week to brew, i suggest getting another vessel.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

You can never have enough fermenters...I think I might have a dozen now.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Fine... I'll go buy another bucket