Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice/opinions on HERMS/Chiller combo vs Counterflow chiller

Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Default Advice/opinions on HERMS/Chiller combo vs Counterflow chiller

I am putting together a modest brewery for small batches. I have a 6 gallon HLT, a 15 gallon Igloo Mash and an 8 gallon BK. The HLT and BK will be heated with 4500 watt 220 heating elements. (way overkill for the HLT, but I've already got one on-hand so...)

I am planning on installing a HERMS coil in the lid of the HLT so it can be easily removed and make all the cleaning etc. easier. I was also considering one of three options for chilling.

A) Re-use the HERMS coil with an ice bath in the HLT and set the pump to recirculate the wort in the BK through the ice bath.

B) install a chiller coil directly in the BK so when the boil is finished I can simply run cold water through it to chill. No pump needed.

C) run the wort through a separate counterflow chiller and back into the BK (or directly into the fermenting vessel if the temp is right.)

I would like advice, suggestions etc on the three above options.

Thank you.