I'm just so tired of beer.. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I'm just so tired of beer..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,897
Liked 4855 Times on 3272 Posts



running out when I go to pour a glass!

Poured about 2 ounces into a small glass to get the first bit of foam out of the way and when I started filling the real glass I got nothing but gunk from the bottom!

So I had to drink that 2 ounces of foamy IPA.

Man, I thought I had more left in that keg! I don't even have an IPA to replace it with. It was some of the best Two-Hearted Clone I have made too.

I need to rig up some kind of early warning system in my kegerator.

Now what to make to replace it? I have a Blonde Ale on tap and a Chocolate Porter in bottles that should be ready *enough* to start drinking soon. That should get me by, although the chocolate porter was supposed to be for the wife (if she likes it) or for some friends (if she doesn't).

Maybe an Irish Red? Another IPA would be nice, but I'm always ready to try something new.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Doed
Belching Dog Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Doed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Steeleville, IL
Posts: 570
Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts


That is a rotten feeling when the tap shoots that thick crud into your glass and then gives that whoosh sound signaling the end to a beautiful relationship.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Whattawort
 
Whattawort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Posts: 910
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
running out when I go to pour a glass!

Poured about 2 ounces into a small glass to get the first bit of foam out of the way and when I started filling the real glass I got nothing but gunk from the bottom!

So I had to drink that 2 ounces of foamy IPA.

Man, I thought I had more left in that keg! I don't even have an IPA to replace it with. It was some of the best Two-Hearted Clone I have made too.

I need to rig up some kind of early warning system in my kegerator.

Now what to make to replace it? I have a Blonde Ale on tap and a Chocolate Porter in bottles that should be ready *enough* to start drinking soon. That should get me by, although the chocolate porter was supposed to be for the wife (if she likes it) or for some friends (if she doesn't).

Maybe an Irish Red? Another IPA would be nice, but I'm always ready to try something new.
Maybe a quick cream ale to get you through these trying times? Don't try to replace it with something similar, it just won't be the same. I'm down to my last 2 bottles of my Cascade APA and I'm really going to miss it. There's gonna be a tear in the last beer.
__________________
Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Jeepinctbrewer
 
Jeepinctbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Hartford, CT
Posts: 553
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...pid-SS100.html


you need one of these!
__________________
Primary- AHS our special holiday ale mini mash
Secondary- Northern brewer oatmeal stout mini mash
On tap- Redhook Esb clone
Bottled-Shining star pale ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Gameface
 
Gameface's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,817
Liked 488 Times on 282 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by justin2001fox View Post
My kegs are packed in too tight most of the time for that strip to be useful.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 454 Times on 292 Posts


Ive got a glut of beer in my pipeline. Im relieved when my kegs kick these days.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Posts: 4,562
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts


I feel your pain. I find myself, as I fear the keg getting towards the end, pulling shorter and shorter pours. Mathematically, the amount of the beer is constant, but I somehow convince myself that I am "stretching" my supply this way.
__________________
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
zeg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,216
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I feel your pain. I find myself, as I fear the keg getting towards the end, pulling shorter and shorter pours. Mathematically, the amount of the beer is constant, but I somehow convince myself that I am "stretching" my supply this way.
I was just talking to my wife about the bottler's equivalent of this: I have decided I like the 11.2 ounce bottles that some breweries are putting out. You get another few bottles out of your batch, and that means a lot more to me than an extra 0.8 ounces each time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,897
Liked 4855 Times on 3272 Posts


To be honest, It has been a while since I brewed it. It's lasted pretty good. I just thought there should be more!

I like the indicators posted, but I wonder if someone could do the same thing with some hot water on the side of the keg. You might be able to see or feel where the beer level is by slightly warming up the outside of the keg. The area where the beer is would be noticeably colder. The sides of a keg aren't very thick.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Whattawort
 
Whattawort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
East Bumfark, Yonder
Posts: 910
Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
To be honest, It has been a while since I brewed it. It's lasted pretty good. I just thought there should be more!

I like the indicators posted, but I wonder if someone could do the same thing with some hot water on the side of the keg. You might be able to see or feel where the beer level is by slightly warming up the outside of the keg. The area where the beer is would be noticeably colder. The sides of a keg aren't very thick.
I've never tried it with a keg, but one way to check the level of a propane tank is to spray some water on it and feel where it's the coolest. Doesn't have to be hot water. It would probably work for a keg.
__________________
Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm Tired and I Want To Go To Bed demagxc General Beer Discussion 8 05-25-2012 04:13 PM
Do you ever get tired of big beers? Jayhem General Beer Discussion 91 05-14-2012 05:25 AM
Tired of pine taste RatCity General Beer Discussion 15 03-25-2012 10:16 PM
so tired of the yellow fiz Texas_Brew General Beer Discussion 28 12-04-2010 01:31 AM
Tired of Higher ABV's Schlenkerla General Beer Discussion 15 03-04-2007 03:32 PM


Forum Jump