Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How do you heat the water for HERMS while heating the Strike water?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This discussion makes me really appreciate the HBT community. Thanks for all of the feedback/suggestions to his question--going to help me quite a bit in a few weeks when I start brewing on my new system as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #22
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One way to do this would be to set-up a 2 stage system.

The strike water would heat first then during mash the HERMS system would be heated to the correct temperature. During the HERMS power off cycles, power would be available to the water tank to heat water for your sparge. This would take two PID controllers and two temperature sensors to work.

If anyone's interested I can draw a schematic.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Isn't the entire point of a HERMS system to have the system water warm at the same time as the strike water? If you're heating the HERMS water during the mash then you might as well not even have the coil.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #24
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

Yes, I was thinking of RIMS - I guess because I recently built a RIMS tube to work with my GOTT cooler.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jus...s-tube-353184/

With HERMS the water that's in your hot liqour tank is used to regulate your mash temperature and provide your sparge water. I just can't justify the cost of a full HERMS to produce 5 - 10 gallons of beer a month.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #25
bdjohns1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts

Bumping up an old thread, but I tried something different on last weekend's brew that worked pretty well.

Started off with my HLT (10gal) full. Added ~3.75 gallons of strike water to the MLT and dropped my HERMS coil in the MLT. Recirculated the HLT through the coil while heating to mash-in+10 degrees. Cut the heat, move the HERMS coil back to the MLT. Add the grain, and swap the connections so wort goes through the HERMS coil now. Reset HLT controller to mash temperature + 2F and start recirculating.

The benefit of this is that I've still got a full kettle of hot water for HERMS and for fly-sparging at the end. I'm guesstimating that it only added 10-15 minutes to the initial heating of the strike water.