Cidery taste - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cidery taste

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
ozziej
Recipes 

Apr 2012
ellicott city, maryland

I've brewed a few recipes (a mixture of both extract and partial grain recipes) and in several I've discovered a somewhat cidery taste present- not sure what is causing this, as I've been pretty particular about sanitation, clarification, etc.. And it's not in consecutive batches (present in an amber ale, not present in a stout, not present in wit beer, but present in Belgian dubble)....

Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause of this and what I can do to eliminate it in my next go?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Van, BC
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

what sugar are you using to carb your beers?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
johnp
Recipes 

Jun 2010
SD
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like it could be green beer. How long did it persist? Green beer or fresh beer taste should age out in a week or two.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sometimes a cidery flavor can come from a too-warm fermentation temperature also.
Right. If the temp of the fermenting liquid gets into the 70s, then acetaldehyde production skyrockets. Acetaldehyde is what produces those green-apple like flavors.

Chris White (White Labs) in his Yeast book did an experiment with a pair of 5 gallon batches, one fermented at 68 and another at 75. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but the 68 degree batch produced something like 7-9 ppm of acetaldehyde (with an 8-10 ppm taste threshhold), while the 75 degree batch produced something like 150 ppm.

Try cooler fermentations and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have a similar problem with my first batch. It tastes like Champagne. It's supposed to be an IPA, but it doesn't even RESEMBLE an IPA, let alone ale of any kind. There isn't even the slightest hop profile. It's not even bitter, despite 1.5oz. of bittering hops used in the boil. Any ideas? Fermentation was quite high (think 86 at it's peak).

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_of_Shells View Post
Fermentation was quite high (think 86 at it's peak).
That would do it. You can get fusel alcohols ("hot" alcohol flavor), solvently flavors, and fruity flavors. It will totally ruin the taste of the beer.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Yea, high fermentation temps, OR acetobacter (FRUIT FLIES!). Happened to me with my second batch, an ESB. It's not right, but drinkable. I don't think it ever goes away.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It will totally ruin the taste of the beer.
Will the "off" flavors ever even out? We bottled 3 weeks ago, so the beer is only 6 weeks old.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
ozziej
Recipes 

Apr 2012
ellicott city, maryland

Thanks for the feedback- didn't realize the impacts of fermentation temps.... That's one area that I haven't really focussed on...

No other way to remove from existing beer? Aeration after opening?