Cleanest beer yeast - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cleanest beer yeast

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
ODI3
Recipes 

Sep 2010
LONDON, Ontario Canada
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I dont think I have ever heard someone speak about not liking the yeast characteristics but more just not liking the yeast itself. (mostly referring to naturally carbonated unsettled beer)

I am thinking you are referring to the esters and off flavors, or even the yeast sediment, or cloudiness in the bottles of naturally carbonated beer.

I think to get a beer with minimum noticeable yeast character or evidence, you want to make sure you pitch with enough yeast. If you dont use enough, then the yeast will not be strong enough to finish cleaning up the flavors in the beer. You'd want to follow Jamil's ale yeast fermentation schedule from the yeast book. (65 for first 3 days, 68 from then on until about 20% of the sugar is left, then let warm up to room temp to maximize attenuation. Do not rack until beer has stayed at same gravity for 3 or 4 days to indicate that fermentation is done and beer has been cleaned up.)

Finally, I would recommend cold crashing your beers for a week, then kegging them. Coldcrashing for a week will settle all of the yeast and cloudiness from the keg. Kegging allows you to get a clean beer and not have to use priming sugar. Leave on CO2 for a week to carbonate and enjoy.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Halbrust
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts

It's not bottle conditioning I dislike. BMC has the flavor I don't like, as does quality home brew.

I've learned I like Paulaner hef, and tasted a homerewed saison that wasn't bad. So it looks like maybe I enjoy the esters. The search will continue until I find more beers I like, and then can recreate those tastes. I will try out the yeasts listed above and see what my feeling on these are too.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
It's not bottle conditioning I dislike. BMC has the flavor I don't like, as does quality home brew.

I've learned I like Paulaner hef, and tasted a homerewed saison that wasn't bad. So it looks like maybe I enjoy the esters. The search will continue until I find more beers I like, and then can recreate those tastes. I will try out the yeasts listed above and see what my feeling on these are too.
Sounds like you actually prefer beers with lots of yeast-derived flavors. Have you tried any Belgian styles?

Also, what yeasts have you brewed with so far?

My Beer Cellar

Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
wilsojos
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust

If you're into the Belgian flavors try wlp500 trappist yeast.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Halbrust
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Have you tried any Belgian styles?

Also, what yeasts have you brewed with so far?
Haven't had a Belgian yet. I have not brewed beer yet. Will be brewing my first batch next month. Done many meads with both ale and wine yeasts.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
brycelarson
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
The lowest ambient temperature my house will get is 65 (Southern California). That's 65 during the day, cooler at night.
I can do the swamp cooler thing, I have with meads.

I thought ambient temperature of 65 was OK, because the fermenting ale would stay under 70. I stand corrected.
65 is ok - it's just not optimal for minimizing esters etc.

I would suggest going out and finding more beers you like - then we can more accurately help you design a beer you will enjoy.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Nikeirons
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Sugarloaf, Pa
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you are wanting to ferment in the lower 60s, would you pitch in the 70s and bring temp down. Or would you pitch in the lower 60?
Just asking because alot of recipes call for pitching in the 70s

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeirons View Post
If you are wanting to ferment in the lower 60s, would you pitch in the 70s and bring temp down. Or would you pitch in the lower 60?
Just asking because alot of recipes call for pitching in the 70s
Pitch at fermentation temperature, or just slightly under. The fermentation itself produces heat and it's easier to allow the wort to rise up to the desired temperature.

Yeast don't like temperature drops.