Ipa help - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ipa help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
bentl1jb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 11


Just ordered my second kit today. It is an ipa from adventures of home brewing. We're gonna put some honey in it to raise the abv. When should we add it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
gcdowd
 
gcdowd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Posts: 1,877
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts


Add it with 10 minutes left in the boil.
__________________
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bentl1jb
Just ordered my second kit today. It is an ipa from adventures of home brewing. We're gonna put some honey in it to raise the abv. When should we add it?
You can add honey at flameout or during active fermentation.

That being said honey also raises the ABv and drys the beer out. In changing the construction of the recipe you are not taking into account the overall balance intended. IMO you don't add the honey
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
bentl1jb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

You can add honey at flameout or during active fermentation.

That being said honey also raises the ABv and drys the beer out. In changing the construction of the recipe you are not taking into account the overall balance intended. IMO you don't add the honey
Thanks a lot. Just thought I might give it a shot because the guy I talked to at the adventures of home brew said that he thinks that's what bells does to make hopslam which is my all time favorite. I appreciate the response!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,933
Liked 590 Times on 429 Posts


I like my IPA's on the drier side because it helps the hops shine through IMHO. That said, if the kit you have already calls for sugar, I wouldn't add honey on top of that. I might use honey instead of sugar, but probably not both.
__________________
Batch counter: 123 batches (11/29/11-7/22/15).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
sweed
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Salem, NH
Posts: 961
Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts


Could you tell us what the original recipe is? If it had sugar in it already, I would only add more dme to it to bump the abv, and then maybe add some extra hops to balance it. Maybe use the honey for bottling?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
dneubeck85
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 96
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I went to adventures and talked to them about this subject. I ended up putting two pounds of honey in my double ipa. Remember that adding honey will raise abv, as it is like 98% ferment able. Adding honey in the last 10-15 min of boil will work. But if your looking to have a more pronounced honey flavor add to your secondary. My double came out great!! Only thing was it was bitter as all hell!! 150 ibus!! But that's great cause I love my hops!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
WreckinBrewCo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
College Station, Texas
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Adding honey during high krausen in the primary will revive your yeast. When you begin fermentation your yeast will work on breaking down the complex sugars in the malt, then when you add the honey (simple sugar) your yeast will be able to break it down easier in the high alcohol environment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
bentl1jb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed
Could you tell us what the original recipe is? If it had sugar in it already, I would only add more dme to it to bump the abv, and then maybe add some extra hops to balance it. Maybe use the honey for bottling?
It is the zythos summit ipa

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump