Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First home brew project, EVER! Rice wine, please help!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I tried sake last year. I got fed up with crushing cooked rice, so I tried an earlier method of preparation called bodai-moto. The result is a carboy full of lacto-sour sake. I felt a little better when I read Sandor Katz talk about sour sake in Art Of Fermentation. It's still waaaay tart to drink (at least for me. I'm not a sourhead...yet), so I'm going to try using it to start a Berlinner Weisse or maybe put some in a boil to do a Guinness-style partial souring on a big beer.

Rice preparation was a big mess. I'm still not 100% sure I had all the koji propagated properly. I'm thinking about doing a batch with black or red koji, just so that I can see it properly when it grows.

My LHBS is out of sake kits, so I'm going to try for my koji. It's cheap, so I plan to overpitch a little.

One thing I was wondering about is what effect the ratio of koji rice vs non-koji rice has on the finished product. Does having the non-koji rice control the fermentation speed?

Continuous Hopping IBU Calculator:
Available in OpenOffice or Excel format