anybody have experience with making sauerkraut? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > anybody have experience with making sauerkraut?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Fly_Rodder
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fayetteville, NY
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I got cabbage fresh from the farm for one batch, it fermented much quicker and the flavor was much more savory and robust. Made with cabbage from the grocery, it took a lot longer to develop, but was still very good.

Not all green cabbage is the same - some varieties have a greater sugar content than others. Additionally, if the cabbages are left out in a frost or two, they'll sweeten a bit more and provide additional sugar for the fermentation.

I just loaded a 6 gallon crock with about 4 gallons of kraut. Last year I made it with caraway seeds and didn't care for it as much. I liked it, but I love just straight kraut.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

I used Juniper berries in my last batch and it was great. As others have said, room temp is fine. If you have a standard US style crock (and not the super fancy German one with the airlock lid), keeping air out & co2 in is important. I like to cover the surface of the kraut with plastic wrap and use a bucket with some cans to weight it down.

Making kraut is really, really easy if you keep te air out. If you do have air and consequently mold, just scrape it off the top and recover, no biggy.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
StMarcos
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Sebastopol, CA
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Keep the solids weighted down under the fluid and you won't have mold. The finer you shred the cabbage, and the more you smash it up, the less water you will have to add to even have enough fluid to submerge the solids. I prefer to chop more coarsely and add a bit more brine at the start. 1-3 weeks is good, depending on temp. Then into the fridge.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Chuginator

Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho
Liked 93 Times on 60 Posts

I've done it and it's delicious. You owe it to yourself to try it if you even THINK it would be fun. It's so much better than store-bought!

Watch this. It will put your mind at ease as to how easy it is, as well as educate you on the proper salt to cabbage weight ratio (2.5%).

http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewi...sauerkraut.mp4

For those that are interested and want to get a glass jar like the one in that video, Wal-Mart really does have them for cheap. I think I paid about $10 for mine and saw it for $40 elsewhere.

Just like with brewing, the sky is the limit - straight-up, caraway seeds, red pepper flakes, whatever.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
StMarcos
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Sebastopol, CA
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

If you want to get fancy there are some artisan makers of nifty crocks. The lid sits in a recessed trough/rim that is filled with water - sort of like a moat. It's one giant airlock....

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos View Post
If you want to get fancy there are some artisan makers of nifty crocks. The lid sits in a recessed trough/rim that is filled with water - sort of like a moat. It's one giant airlock....
Google 'German Crock' - spendy. I sure do want one, though.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Chuginator

Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho

Yeah, I'd love to have one too, but jeez- they're expensive.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
Celticgladiator
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Viborg, Sd
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made kraut before but I canned it rather than doing it in a crock, I'd like to try the crock method though

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

Basic Brewing did a video podcast on making sauerkraut sometime back, its in their library available for download.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Chuginator

Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
Basic Brewing did a video podcast on making sauerkraut sometime back, its in their library available for download.
See message #14.