Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White labs 011 american ale yeast

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
tschmitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default White labs 011 american ale yeast

I am brewing my second 5 gallon batch. My first one did not ferment correctly I believe due to the temp in the house being too warm and the type of yeast used.

This batch I pitched Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon it was bubbling, this morning it was going a little stronger, this evening it appears to have already peaked and is bubbling but not quite as strong.

Question...how long should a typical 5 gallon batch have activity in the airlock?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmitt View Post
Question...how long should a typical 5 gallon batch have activity in the airlock?

It depends on many factors. Seriously, I would not gauge any judgement on the beer based on the fermentation activity (bubbles, krausen, et al). I did a few times, but I was wrong. The real proof is with gravity readings and tastings, at the very end.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmitt View Post
I am brewing my second 5 gallon batch. My first one did not ferment correctly I believe due to the temp in the house being too warm and the type of yeast used.

This batch I pitched Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon it was bubbling, this morning it was going a little stronger, this evening it appears to have already peaked and is bubbling but not quite as strong.

Once you make a few more batches you'll realize it isn't really ever the same. Unless you have temp control, same amount of yeast, same recipe, etc.

I notice vigorous bubbles from about 1-7 days. Then Slow bubbling to no bubbling for another 5 days or so. Even so I let it sit.

Relax and let it go and don't worry. If its bubbling you did it right. No need to worry!