Just brewed my 2nd All-Grain batch. Still BIAB for now. The better AG setup is currently being saved for so I should have it by Christmas. BIAB is fine for now but it's just hard to get all of the water out of the bag.
Followed this recipe - All-Grain - Citra IPA
I did a few tweaks though:
1. Added 16oz of Corn Syrup at the start of boil.
2. Started with 2 ounces of Citra @ 60 instead of .75 ounces.
3. He dry hopped with Simcoe. I will most likely dry hop with 2 ounces of Citra instead. Will see. I have 2oz of both but leaning toward all-citra on this batch.
Boil size was 4 gallons reduced to about 2.75 gallons at the finish. I somehow got away with keeping the lid almost on the kettle the whole time. No idea how that worked w/o boiling over.
Battery reported an OH of 1.060. I measured 1.040 @ 60 Degrees F
This scares me because, I followed his recipe exactly + added 16 ounces of corn syrup yet I I scored under. My beer recipe application said, with this I should hit 1.078. ****.
I guess that's the problem with BIAB. You simply don't extract the level of fermentable sugars needed. This sucks.
Going to rack this now and will update with OG + some photos as I brew & in the glass.
If anyone has any yays or nays on the switch from 2oz Simcoe Dry Hop to Citra instead, let me know. I have still 10-14 days before I dry hope.