Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #971
imgroovin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks, that's kinda what i thought but the gravity dropped so quick i thought it might have been a problem.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #972
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IMG_9927 by Ludahchris, on Flickr

Time to bottle. Looks like the 3oz of munich malt kinda put me right where I wanted to be on the color. If this tastes good then I might even go with 2oz and see what the color is then. 2 more weeks for a taste test and keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #973
jl_ghs316
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Started my mash at 154 and it dropped down to 148 by the end. Hit the OG perfectly though. Used a large tea ball for the hops and it was packed. Probably wont get full utilization. Woke up this morning to a overflowing airlock! Had to hook up a blow-off tube. Hopefully this comes out better than my last weizen. It was spicy and looked like a red ale. Not sure what I messed up on that one!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #974
scotty2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Spoke to a local brewer of excellent German beers today. He told me they do a single decoction with hefes. I didn't ask him at what temp he performs the decoction, so, I ask, if you were to do a single decoction, at what temp would you do it?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #975
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bottled my last batch and while bottling it I took a sample taste and the same stupid sour off flavor taste that my other 2 had so I went and got more grains and brewed it again (4th time) and last night I kegged this one and again sour off flavor taste but not as harsh on this one. I have kept the batch in the bottles this time to see if the flavor mellows out some. The 3rd batch was fermented at 68 and this last batch was at 67. I am just about to give up if either of these do not taste right. I have no idea what the problem could be and doing a search on Google others have had the same problem. Maybe it's my water or something

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #976
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had the same problem if you figure it out let me know. Crazy, everything else I do is great.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #977
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodachris
Bottled my last batch and while bottling it I took a sample taste and the same stupid sour off flavor taste that my other 2 had so I went and got more grains and brewed it again (4th time) and last night I kegged this one and again sour off flavor taste but not as harsh on this one. I have kept the batch in the bottles this time to see if the flavor mellows out some. The 3rd batch was fermented at 68 and this last batch was at 67. I am just about to give up if either of these do not taste right. I have no idea what the problem could be and doing a search on Google others have had the same problem. Maybe it's my water or something
If it follows between batches, I'd think maybe something you're using is introducing infection. Is it just this recipe?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #978
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
If it follows between batches, I'd think maybe something you're using is introducing infection. Is it just this recipe?
Can't rule that out but the Ipa I made about 2 hours after the hefeweizen turned out great and the same process was followed. It's now been 16 days in the bottle and I just poured one and I really think it's starting to mellow out. I have read that it's drinkable as soon as it's carbonated but maybe mine and whatever process I am doing makes it so I have to wait a bit longer? If that's the case then I have dumped 10 gallons on first impression taste alone I think I am still going to check the PH of my water and go from there. With the taste of this bottle of beer and how it's changing and if it continues to get better by the day then I will have to shop for a duel regulator and another Perlick to add to the fridge!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #979
papab
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

This is hands down the BEST homemade hefe I've ever had
Thanks Edworth
I'm making another 5 gallons, everybody love it
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 003.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	107674  

Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #980
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papab
This is hands down the BEST homemade hefe I've ever had
Thanks Edworth
I'm making another 5 gallons, everybody love it
But where does it rank among all hefes you've drank?