Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #941
oasisbliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thank you RCP

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #942
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
Good lord I just kegged mine after 12 days in ferm. It tastes like sulfury ass. I sure hope it clears.
I followed the recipe to a "t" and even had it in my ferm chamber at 68-70........

so I guess we will see

Same exact problem I had and after a month in the keg I dumped the beer! Don't know what I did wrong but even the color was way off from a Paulaner or Franziskaner. Also with the recipe there is no way that I can think of that will get the color closer to a German hefeweizen any ideas?

Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #943
rcp197
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodachris

Same exact problem I had and after a month in the keg I dumped the beer! Don't know what I did wrong but even the color was way off from a Paulaner or Franziskaner. Also with the recipe there is no way that I can think of that will get the color closer to a German hefeweizen any ideas?
I really think this is a yeast issue versus a grain or recipe issue. My starter seemed a little darker than normal and the smell hit as soon as fermentation started. I tasted my hydro sample before pitching and it tasted fine. I've also read from someone else on here that the taste doesn't seem to dissipate when kegged.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #944
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wonder if you guys aren't fermenting too warm. I know the original recipe says to ferment at 68 but everywhere else I've read about brewing with Hefe yeast says to brew much cooler than that, around 62 degrees. I know a warmer fermentation just usually means more banana flavors but maybe with this recipe for some reason a warmer fermentation is producing more off flavors than normal.

I just kegged my second batch of this beer last weekend and it came out great. I fermented at 63-64 degrees and got no off flavors, used the Wyeast strain. My first batch I followed exactly the same as this one, and got the same result. I didn't go through all the posts about people having issues but temperature control is critical (ie. fermentation chamber) with this yeast.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #945
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting.....JSGT09 did you get some good banana overtones at 63-64?

thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #946
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Worth a try to ferment cooler. I am looking into a mini fridge or wine cooler to turn into a fermentation chamber before I try this for a third time. I have used both the white labs and wyeast with same bad results. As fas as color goes the Clone Brews book I have says to add 4oz of dark Munich for a Paulaner style clone but pretty much the same wheat and pilsner amount so I'll try that and see how the color turns out.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #947
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
Interesting.....JSGT09 did you get some good banana overtones at 63-64?

thanks
I did get some banana, but in my opinion it is a much more balanced flavor when brewing at 63-64 vs. a higher temperature which is a little too much banana, again in my opinion.

Look into getting a used (or even new) chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. That is what I've been using and aside from having to lift a heavy fermenting bucket into it, it's been great. It's a must for finicky beers like this that need a specific temperature. A fridge would work too, but I like the option to cold crash my non-wheat beers to near freezing before kegging.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #948
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks JS,,,is yours close to franiskaner?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #949
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I would say it's close to Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner but not exact.

For whatever reason I've been getting a little more of a bite in the back end of this beer and it's not as clean of a taste as my first one. It's almost got a mild astringent aftertaste but I've never had trouble with my water PH or the long mash time that this beer calls for. I think when I brew this again I'll go back to WL300 since I used Wyeast 3068 in this most recent batch...I think the WL300 ferments cleaner.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #950
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sounds good will try the same. thanks