Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #821
FlemingsFinest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this up last night with new all-grain equipment. Hit the mash temp right on the money, boil went well. Came in a hair above Target OG, though, and I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't account properly for the dead space at the bottom of my MLT, so my volume when everything was said and done was lower than necessary. Just added some more water, got the beer to the target OG (still a little under-volume tho), and pitched my yeast. Woke up today and this thing is fermenting like crazy! Used a blowoff tube and good thing! Can't wait to try this in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe EdWort. Here's a short vid to see the bubbling in the blow-off bucket:

Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #822
FlemingsFinest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

6 days into fermentation and bubbling has stopped, took first hydro reading. Was at 1.010, and tasted great. Letting it sit for 4 more days, then bottling.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #823
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just got 2nd place in category 15 at the Oregon State Homebrew Comp with this beer, with a few minor alterations:

Grain bill the same

WLP300 yeast (2nd generation)

1/4 oz perle @ 45
1/2 oz perle @ 15

First 5 days of ferm temps: 72, 75, 72, 68, 68

90 minute boil

Sat in primary for 2 weeks, then kegged and sat at 70 ambient for another 2 weeks.

I have brewed this beer 5 times now, usually only changing the hops and fermentation temperatures (no temp control), I am very impressed every time. Thanks for the recipe Ed!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #824
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just tasted after 10 days in bottles (got antsy), tasted GREAT. Can't wait for it to finish up a bit. Great recipe Ed.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #825
MacrosNZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Made this with a few small gain changes. Swapped in a little bit of dark wheat and Munich malt. Very tasty thanks Ed!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #826
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I just did a search within this thread and couldn't find an answer, so forgive me if it was covered already...

According to Wyeast, this yeast has a max attenuation of 77%, which, if my math/methodology is correct, means this could only attenuate down to 1.12. How do the extra 3 points go away? Is it just better than Wyeast claims?

Also, I'm quite concerned with bottling this, as the style calls for about 4 volumes of carbonation. Normal bottles are only rated for 3. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to bottle this?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #827
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hit 1.011 every time. It seems to be terminal gravity for this style for me. No matter what my starting gravity was. I bottle carb to about 3 volumes.... When I bottle. 4 just seems dangerous and unnecessary and almost detracts from the beer when all you get is foamy mouth from a sip.
SDJay Likes This 
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #828
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
I hit 1.011 every time. It seems to be terminal gravity for this style for me. No matter what my starting gravity was. I bottle carb to about 3 volumes.... When I bottle. 4 just seems dangerous and unnecessary and almost detracts from the beer when all you get is foamy mouth from a sip.
Thanks!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #829
japhillips87
Recipes 

I am new to brewing completely. This will be my first brew ever. I'm completely skipping extract. This may not be the best idea but I'm willing to take the risk. I really like hefe's and I can't wait to brew this. I'm still in the process of building my equipment and will probably brew this a week from Sunday. Thanks for the recipe and this awesome and informative thread.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #830
mbaker33
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhillips87
I am new to brewing completely. This will be my first brew ever. I'm completely skipping extract. This may not be the best idea but I'm willing to take the risk. I really like hefe's and I can't wait to brew this. I'm still in the process of building my equipment and will probably brew this a week from Sunday. Thanks for the recipe and this awesome and informative thread.
I have made dozens of batches and still struggle with this recipe from time to time because of the amount of wheat. You really should do at least a handful of extract or at least partial mash kits before jumping into this. The simpler kits allow you to refine your process before jumping to all grain which has too many variables to count.

Whatever you decide, good luck!