Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen - Page 81 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #801
suicider
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
pittsburgh, pa
Posts: 23

evrytime i brew this i brew at 70 or above temps. i want more banana character out of it but they always come out more clovey. anyone ever ferment at 62 as jamil suggests in his book? it smells super banana like when fermenting but when i bottle and chill it's nowhere near as banana like. thinking i might ferment the next batch at 62 and see where that gets me. i always heard higher temps= more banana. seems that way during fermentation butnot so much in the final product, any thoughts

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #802
Olive Drab
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
, Virginia/Various 3rd world shitholes
Posts: 279
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


I made an extract version


4# breiss dry wheat extract
2# breiss dry pilsen malt extract
6 oz carapils steeped @ 155 for 30 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 60 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 15

1liter starter of wyeast 3068

fermented in a 62-64 degree water bath for 14 days

crash cooled and kegged/force carbed @ room temp at 40psi for 20 min 2 days ago

Perfect!

FYI, the pic looks quite a bit lighter than the actual beer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hefeweizen.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	68166  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #803
Lazarous
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 379
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider
evrytime i brew this i brew at 70 or above temps. i want more banana character out of it but they always come out more clovey. anyone ever ferment at 62 as jamil suggests in his book? it smells super banana like when fermenting but when i bottle and chill it's nowhere near as banana like. thinking i might ferment the next batch at 62 and see where that gets me. i always heard higher temps= more banana. seems that way during fermentation butnot so much in the final product, any thoughts
I've made this a couple times fermenting at 62 and had the same experience as you describe...not sure what that means

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #804
Dgonza9
 
Dgonza9's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Evanston, Illinois
Posts: 1,182
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarous View Post
I've made this a couple times fermenting at 62 and had the same experience as you describe...not sure what that means
I fermented a batch at 62 last summer. Came out all clove. Not a hint of banana. It wasn't bad with an orange slice floating around in it, but not what I had hoped for.
__________________
On Tap: Belgian Barrel Aged Barleywine, Da Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout, Hop Your Face Off IIPA, Catcher in the Rye Saison, "Wino-head" Nelsin Sauvin Gumballhead.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #805
GGGsPorter
 
GGGsPorter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 40


I just kegged my second version of this a few days ago. Used 1 liter starter in both versions. (starter gravity 1.041) The 1st version fermented @ 68. It was a little on the banana side of the flavor profile yet still very good. I fermented the second version at 62-63, and it has the perfect balance of banana and clove. Best hefeweizen to date! This will be the temp I ferment at from now on for this beer.
__________________
"You just drink because you want to get drunk.... I drink because I NEED it!" -My Old Friend

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #806
TTodd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 28

I'm planning on making a double batch using this recipe. This will only be my 2nd all-grain batch.

So if I simply double the grains and hops, When I enter the recipe in Beersmith, should I set the "Batch Size" to 11 gallons (since the original recipe was for 5.5 gallons)? Or should I simply set it to 10?

My biggest question is about the Yeast. I believe that in a previous post from EdWort, (if I'm interpreting correctly), he said that you could use a single pack of the 3068 yeast if you made a starter in 1 liter of wort. Does that sound right? Will that be sufficient for 10 (or 11) gallons?

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #807
archer75
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 134
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd View Post
I'm planning on making a double batch using this recipe. This will only be my 2nd all-grain batch.

So if I simply double the grains and hops, When I enter the recipe in Beersmith, should I set the "Batch Size" to 11 gallons (since the original recipe was for 5.5 gallons)? Or should I simply set it to 10?

My biggest question is about the Yeast. I believe that in a previous post from EdWort, (if I'm interpreting correctly), he said that you could use a single pack of the 3068 yeast if you made a starter in 1 liter of wort. Does that sound right? Will that be sufficient for 10 (or 11) gallons?

Thanks!
If you are going to double the recipe then double the batch size.

As far as starters go, a 1L starter wouldn't suffice even for a 5 gallon batch.
Calculator here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #808
csimpkins
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Wilmington, Massachusetts
Posts: 5

What a beer! Without a doubt my best homebrew to date.

I pitched two vials of WLP300 (I was feeling lazy) at 75 degrees in hopes of heavy banana esters and let it self adjust to an ambient temp of 70 degrees. It fermented down to 1.004 in 48 hours, at which point I threw 3 cups of pureed watermelon into the fermentor.

I kegged it after 9 days. While racking to the keg, my wife came walking in from the other room and said, "Is that your beer? I really thought you were making banana bread."

Just 11 days after brewing, this beer is amazing. It has an incredible banana aroma and flavor with a wonderful mouthfeel. Some watermelon aroma was present at kegging, but has almost completely disappeared two days later.

With a couple of parties coming up, I expect to kick this keg in record time. I will definitely be brewing this again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #809
SirBrewsAlot
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Allentown, PA
Posts: 42
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Def my next brew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #810
JSGT09
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Omaha, NE
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Has anyone ever tried a decoction mash for this recipe? I have been reading that many of the German beers are better with a decoction mash, but others say it's not necessary with today's highly modified malts.
__________________
Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bavarian Hefeweizen not like Paulaner Hefeweizen - How come? cootr_brn Extract Brewing 22 05-19-2014 11:06 PM
Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Dunkelweizen Hawgbranch Recipes/Ingredients 9 08-29-2013 02:12 AM
Weissbier Bavarian hefeweizen codyjack Homebrew Ale Recipes 2 04-08-2013 03:10 PM
FG for NB Bavarian Hefeweizen Butter Fermentation & Yeast 1 12-16-2011 09:00 PM
AG #2: Bavarian Hefeweizen osagedr General Beer Discussion 3 10-31-2010 02:42 PM


Forum Jump