A great simple recipe - Page 14 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider Recipes > A great simple recipe

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #131
jeffc
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's the same as when I started, ~1.064.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #132
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Recipes 

Jun 2013
, West Michigan
Liked 1263 Times on 896 Posts

Ive heard of ppl overcoming that with more yeast but its kind od a crapshoot. The reason you had some krausen is sorbate doesnt kill yeat it stops them from multiplying

Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #133
PamelaToledo
Recipes 

Sep 2013

Hey,

It looks quite interesting but can you please name the recipe and time taken to complete the recipe.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #134
jeffc
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzymittenbrewing View Post
Ive heard of ppl overcoming that with more yeast but its kind od a crapshoot. The reason you had some krausen is sorbate doesnt kill yeat it stops them from multiplying
I threw together a quick batch of a 1/2 gal of mott's apple juice and a packet of yeast...we'll see where this goes. I'm not going to drink 5 gallons of unfermented cider, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate and yeast - so it's worth a shot in the dark

Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #135
wmubronco03
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaToledo
Hey,

It looks quite interesting but can you please name the recipe and time taken to complete the recipe.
I called it "Apple-soused" and start to when I started drinking it was about 30-45 days.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #136
jeffc
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
I threw together a quick batch of a 1/2 gal of mott's apple juice and a packet of yeast...we'll see where this goes. I'm not going to drink 5 gallons of unfermented cider, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate and yeast - so it's worth a shot in the dark
Update: after 2 more weeks it's down to a little over 1.03. Seems to have made some progress in fermenting. I transferred it to a carboy and I'm thinking I'll pitch a packet of champagne yeast on top of it Saturday if there is no more movement - it's too sweet to drink right now.

Next time - no cider with potassium sorbate.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #137
JDWebb

Recipes 

Dec 2014
Sherman Oaks, California
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Has anyone tried adding bourbon and oak cubes? May do this (original recipe) and add some Buffalo Trace during secondary and an oak spiral.
Home Brewing Biography: Home brewing? I have extensive knowledge and experience in home brewing. Most every cup of coffee I have ever drank was brewed at home. In a percolator coffee pot. Does anyone here even know what that is?

Old 06-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #138
CKuhns
Recipes 

Oct 2015
, MN
Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts

Never added Bourbon to this but do add Oak Cubes to secondary. After kegging and carbing have added a shot of Fireball whiskey to the glass after poured (My spin on a Johnny Jump Up) and in My Humble Opinion is pretty good.

I have used basically this exact recipe as posted by the OP about a dozen times.(5 Gallon Batches).
Couple of notes and things to consider
- You can adjust the OG prior to pitching yeast and use FAJC to do so cutting back on the brown sugar. (I target 1.060 +- a bit)
- Last batch 1.058 OG was 10 days primary @ 66 to 68 Deg F using SO4 Yeast and a TBSP of Nutrient (DAP / Fermaid K mix 2 to 1)
- Racked to secondary
- Steeped a Black Tea bag in 2 C water for 5 minutes with 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 cloves and 1 oz Med Toast Oak Cubes Added it all to secondary.
- Racked from spices after 8 Days.
- Clarified by Cold crashing for 2 days Racked and kegged.
- Drinkable at kegging and great after a number of months if you prefer to age it.

I use this recipe as my go-to for a quick and easy hard cider. - Really an "entry level" hard cider to get your techniques and recipe fine tuned, It goes just off dry and a good base for experimenting with. Fruit addition works great with this one. (Leave the cloves out but keep everything else the same when adding fruit)