Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > A great simple recipe

Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #91
OREUS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I made this same recipe but used
raspberry-apple concentrate
cote de blanc yeast
3 weeks in primary
Currently in secondary for 5 days with 24 ounces of frozen raspberries
OG was 1.070 and before secondary it was 1.014 and pretty tart. We will see what this becomes in the next few weeks after I keg it on Sunday. I hope the tartness subsides a bit or I may have to sweeten it up a little.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #92
OREUS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

^^
When i put it in the fridge to cold crash it, my hydrometer reading was 1.004, making this about 8.5%ish ABV and dry. I put some potassium sorbate in it and back sweetened with 1 can of AJ concentrate. Still a bit tart but just that little bit takes the tart kick down quite a bit.

Overall, strong, semi-dry, semi-tart and the raspberry flavor definitely came through. So far, I like it. We will see what happens after its been kegged and carbed after awhile.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #93
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Getting ready to make this today. Going to toss in blueberries when I rack it to the secondary. I figured with the blueberries I should hold off on the cinnamon sticks. Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #94
rgregoryirving
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Yeah I think you should avoid the cinnamon stick(s). I half'd this recipe to give it a try and followed the OP's instructions exactly and I thought the cinnamon flavor came through sort of strong. I think racking it with blueberries sounds like it could be tasty! Let me know how it comes out!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #95
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I once tried a cider along time ago. It turned out terrible...but I was young, dumb, and hasn't really researched it much. This is my first attempt since then. It's been fermenting for about 4 days now. Still have some steady bubbling on top of the cider...I like carboys simply cause I can watch it.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #96
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just racked this in to a secondary on top 40 oz of blueberries. The cider itself was awesome and can't wait to try it with the blueberry.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #97
MnMoonShiner
Recipes 

Hello I'm new to this forum as of right now this very second!
I make the Apple Pie Moonshine and I make in a large batch about 2.5 gallons at a time.
I'm now looking to make Blueberry Pie Moonshine so if any of you have AWESOME recipes you wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it.
I've also had people as me for Raspberry, I guess someone had a lemon drop one that tasted just like the lemon drop candy?
That would great.

Or any other recipes that are similar to the Apple Pie Moonshine Shots.

Thank you!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #98
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Tried a sample of it today after taking a gravity reading. Gravity at 1.009 at 69 degrees. Right now it tastes more like a sweet blush wine but it is incredibly young. Going to bottle next weekend and then let it age for awhile

Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #99
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Just threw this into a 5 gallon carboy 2 days ago. This is my first cider. My OG was closer to 1.080. Maybe Costco upped the sugars in the juice.

I've got a good amount of bubbles in the blow off. But there is no krausen.

My questions:
1 - is a lack of krausen normal with ciders? I don't see any mold and it's fermenting in a tub at 66 degrees.
2 - can Nottingham yeast take that high of an alcohol content? Seems like it

Thanks all.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #100
jetmech_63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just finished another cider!

3 gallons Tree Top apple juice
2 Gallons Tree Top Apple Cider
1 LB corn sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg EC-1118

Put all of that into primary, combined well, let sit for 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary. Then into keg with 1.5 Tbsp Potassium Sorbate. Chilled overnight. Following day added 2.5 cans frozen Old Orchard Berry Blend(found at Walmart). Carbed in keg for a week, and viola! Raspberry apple Cider!! Tastes phenomenal and made it for right about $21.00! I can't stress how awesome this tastes! And so easy!