Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is my siphon oxygenating my beer?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
JoeSpartaNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Is my siphon oxygenating my beer?

I have noticed on my last 3 (and only) kegged batches that there has been that weird cardboard taste. The last being the most severe. At first I thought it was the ingredients i was using, but I am starting to think it is my equipment or method.

This is the siphon that i have been using from morebeer:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/188...Gallon_Carboys

This unit does work pretty flawless, excellent siphon with very little bubbles.

I am wondering if the initial blow to start the siphon maybe causing the oxidation.

I do purge my kegs after they are filled, but maybe I am not doing it enough. I am at loss and can't figure it out.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 307

The only way I can see that air is getting into the siphoned beer is at the point where the tube is attached.

Yoi say you are getting a little bubbling. Aside from a minor amount of degassing (CO2) there should be no bubbles at all if the clamp is holding a true seal.

OMO

bosco

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Its very fine bubbling in siphon tube.

You blow air through a filter which pressurizes the carboy to push the beer throught the racking cane and tubing.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Shouldn't be any noticable bubbling in the system unless it's getting in at the clamp area. Just a guess on my part. Increasing pressure in the carboy shouldn't have any affect on what goes through the system.

bosco

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Bubbles only around where the racking cane meets the siphon tube, and like I said...not alot of them.

The increased pressure in the carboy is from using the "blow" siphon, introducing air into the carboy to start the siphon. That is what made me think that the beer might be getting oxidized.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpartaNJ View Post
Bubbles only around where the racking cane meets the siphon tube, and like I said...not alot of them.

Those bubbles would be fine if they were going into your fermenter prior to pitching, but going into your bottling bucket they are putting oxygen into your beer. Double clamp it or do somethong until the bubbles stop.

OMO

bosco

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
treydobass
Recipes 

I think that he is asking about is when you have most of the beer racked out of the carboy and gravity is noticing the higher lift required in order to pull the beer all the way up the tube before going back down again. A small pocket of bubbles sits and seems to "gargle" at the apex of the siphon. I've been wondering this too lately. I don't think theres any loose seals or connections, the siphon base can be well below the surface of the water and it will just slightly "gargle". Right?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Right. The hose is clamped perfectly to the siphon. The bubbles are noticed towards the end of transferring from carboy to keg or bucket.

The bubbles have happened with auto siphon and blow siphon in every batch I have ever done.
Only recently one I started kegging (coincidently the time I started using the new type of siphon) did I notice the "oxydation".

Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
dbrewski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Buy an auto-siphon? I hate solutions that require purchasing new equipment, but it's not that much and you'd be able to tell if that was indeed the cause.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
treydobass
Recipes 

I tell y'all what. I brewed 2 hefe batches and 2 Altbiers 2 weeks apart, exact same recipes, just different yeast on both (trying a homemade yeast comparison). The Hefe and Alt I currently have on tap were my first 2 kegs and both seemed slightly cardboardy. I'm about to keg the other Hefe and Alt as soon as I finish this response. This Hefe is in a secondary and I'm just going to pour it straight into a keg (last one needed a little more yeast for flavor). I'll be extra careful with the Alt and be sure to overpurge any additional oxygen out of the kegs and I'll get back and let you guys know what I find.