Ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
This is what I brewed on sat
17 lbs of 2 row
.5 Vienna
1 crystal 80
.5 crystal 20
.5 clear candi sugar
.75 cascade @ 60
.5 nugget @15
1 willianette @ 5
1 simcoe @ 0
Nottingham washed yeast starter
Og 1.082
Don't know what my dry hop hops will be yet
Please critique my recipe do you think it'll be any good any help will be appreciated

I'm not crazy about the hopping. I would have reversed the cascade and nugget as cascade is a great flavor hop. Or, used simcoe at 15 minutes and cascade at 0, keeping nugget as the bittering hop.

The grainbill is a bit odd. A tiny bit of Vienna, too much crystal, and then some candi sugar. But it might all balance out in the end, if the mash temp was low enough.

First off I would cut back on the crystal malts. I personally don't use any crystal in my IPAs. Also I would switch the Nugget and the Cascade and add more late hops.

What direction do you want to take the IPA?

Can you list some flavor descriptors to help us guide you? The recipe is somewhat "kitchen sink" esque so it is hard to provide valuable feedback.

malty/dry/sweet/dank/fruity/heavy body/bitter/big aroma etc... help us help you:mug:

It was a bunch of left over ingredients that I laying around that I wanted to get rid of so I guess I should call it my kitchen sink autumn ale plus I used the cascade at 60 because I didn't want it to be so bitter

I'm not going to critique your recipe other to say that I think there is too much crystal malt and not enough hops for my taste, but your taste is probably very different to mine.
What I will say, is that I made a kitchen sink brew to use up all my left-overs for my fourth of fifth brew. It was fantastic, and I spent many months trying to replicate it without success.
The difference is that you have accurately documented what you brewed. I didn't.
I think you are off to a good start.

Good luck, and I hope it meets your expectations.

-a.

Were you using the candi sugar to thin out the body since it has such a high starting gravity?
Kitchen sink recipes are fun to experiment with! The only critique I have is the hopping schedule, I'd go big on the flavor hops with Cascade and I agree using nugget as the bittering hop, it's super smooth for bittering, and you could even use it as a FWH in small amounts.

I think I'll dry hop with an ounce of fresh amarillo and an ounce of fresh simcoe

Just checked the gravity and it is 1.022 is this normal for a beer this big

Latest posts

Back