I had my first brewday in a while yesterday and I learned two things.
The first thing is, I dislike false bottoms very much. I batch sparge using a 5 gallon round cooler and thought I'd try a false bottom to maybe improve my extraction rates (I've only been able to hit about 60% or so) so after I started the mash I noticed that I wasn't getting any runoff in my tubing like I would when using a SS braid. I dumped the mash into my brew kettle to investigate and all of my tubing was still attached and the false bottom wasn't clogged, so I just swapped it out with my braid and dumped the mash back into the cooler and it immediatly gave me a bit of run off like I expected. I don't quite know what happened, but I've got a false bottom that fits a 5 gallon cooler if anyone wants it :P. Oddly enough, I had my best measurement of efficiency @ 65% and I thought I had a disaster on my hand. I guess I'll just refine my procedures and stick with the SS.
The second thing I learned is, I love dry yeast! I pitched a packet of Safale S-04 right into the wort after cooling and I had activity in the airlock less than an hour after pitching. About 12 hours later, it was going crazy and by this morning, less than 24 hours after pitching, things calmed down and I'm getting a bubble or two every 30 seconds. I will definatly be using dry yeast from now on unless the style calls for a liquid yeast.
I'm gearing up for my next batch, which will be an Oktoberfest style ale, if you can imagine such a thing.