Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Does the yeast give off a funny taste? What about alcohol content?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 10

Default Does the yeast give off a funny taste? What about alcohol content?

While waiting for my first batch of cider to ferment, I thought I'd try something that only takes a few days. However, there are a few questions I have about soda making with yeast.

1. Does yeast carbonation cause the soda to have a weird taste?

2. How long do these homemade sodas stay carbonated before and after opening? If I decide to bottle in 2-liters, when people are pouring their drinks how long before the soda falls flat?

3. Has anyone used the stovetop pasteurization method for soda? I will be using glass beer bottles, and keeping all of these bottles in my fridge isn't an option. Neither is using a carb machine, so killing the yeast through pasteurization is my only viable option.

ETA: I found another thread with an answer to the alcohol thing, so now I'm just wondering about the stovetop pasteurization, the longevity of carbonation, and the yeast taste. Thanks!