Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aging Fruit and Honey beers
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts

Default Aging Fruit and Honey beers

I've never made a fruit beer before. I recently made this: Spearmint

Now it's been in a bottle for about a week. Carbonation levels are normal for an ale but I am trying for about a 3.4 co2 level so it has a few more days to go yet.

Now, I know this beer is very young, but with traditional beers I'm a pretty good judge of how a young beer will likely taste once aged for a while.

With a fruit beer I'm clueless. Especially fruit with honey and spices. I don't seem to be tasting the malt, the flavoring hops are present and will likely mellow out. They taste a bit to "fresh" at the moment

What I guess I'd like to know is how does the flavor from the fruit and honey change as the beer ages?

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts

Fruit flavors tend to get weaker as the ale ages. Honey can disappear completely. Mints tend to hang on.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk