Cleaning bottles with oxiclean - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning bottles with oxiclean

Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
rcp197
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I just cleaned my first batch of bottles with oxiclean and rinsed well. There seems to be some white residue on some of the inside of the bottles. I'm guessing in the direction that they were laying. I've rinsed repeatedly to no effect. Has this happened to anyone else and will starsan take care of the problem?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

yes and maybe

Cheers

BSD

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
AllHopAbandon
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts

Yes, it happens and the white residue is hard to just rinse off. When I need to really clean out my bottles (when i have new ones with the labels still on for example) I soak them in Oxyclean overnight, empty them and rinse them out, then soak them in clean water, again overnight. I never have any residue issues that way. The trick also seems to not let the bottles dry too much after the Oxyclean soak. Once the residue dries up and becomes clearly visible, it's hard to get remove. A mild acid like Star San will get rid of it though.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
E-Mursed
Recipes 

May 2011
Westland, MI
Liked 112 Times on 65 Posts

Happened when I used the SUN brand of Oxy...Starsan soak cleared them up.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
logan3825
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts

I don't soak my bottles for more than 20 minutes. Just rinse them well when you are done drinking. It shouldn't take long for labels to soak off in warm water and oxyclean. I use 2 buckets and alternate between them. Once one is filled the labels usually peel off easily in the other bucket.

Edit: I don't mean to say you shouldn't wash your bottles just that rinsing well as you empty them will make washing much easier.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
rcp197
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all! Lesson learned

Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
fergusmj
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Lafayette, IN
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I've noticed the film only once. This was also the same time that I didn't mix the oxy clean very well. I wonder if you get the residue more often when you don't disolve the oxyclean completely?

I usually add water and oxy clean first, stir well, then add bottles with no problems.