OG Way Off....help? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > OG Way Off....help?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 43



I just brewed a pumpkin ale and i was supposed to get an OG of 1.060 and I got 1.040 is that bad? where did i go wrong?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jwalk4's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Posts: 944
Liked 162 Times on 131 Posts


Extract, Partial, or All Grain?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 43


Partial. I steeped about a pound of grain for half hour

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


My guess is that you actually got 1.060, but you measured 1.040 due to inadequate mixing of the top off water.
1 lb grain could contribute about 5 points to a 5 gallon batch, not the 20 points that you think you are off.

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 846
Liked 145 Times on 102 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblooms8788 View Post
I just brewed a pumpkin ale and i was supposed to get an OG of 1.060 and I got 1.040 is that bad? where did i go wrong?
How do you expect anyone to give an intelligent answer when you provide absolutely zero details on your process?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 43


Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
How do you expect anyone to give an intelligent answer when you provide absolutely zero details on your process?


fair enough. Here is my recipe except i didn't use the white sugar. I steeped grain for 30 mins, boiled for 1 hr, cooled wort to just under 80 F and then added wort and then cold water to fermentation bucket. The OG was 1.040 but maybe it's because a lot of the wort was on the bottom and the fresh water was on top.


Grain: 0.5 lb American 20L Crystal
0.5 lb Dark German Munich
Extract: 7lbs Golden LME
Hops: 1oz German Tettnanger
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Pumpkin: 4-5 lbs (a medium sized pumpkin) baked and pureed
Sugar: 1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
Vanilla: 1 tsp vanilla extract
Spice Mix (you will use 1 tbs of this):
2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp ground cloves
0.5 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
Half Whirlfoc tablet or equal Iris Moss

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 846
Liked 145 Times on 102 Posts


Its possible that you didn't mix the top off water well enough with the dense wort, but unlikely. With most of your fermentables coming from extract, I would guess that you're not measuring the final diluted volume correctly (over-shot it) or perhaps your hydrometer is way off, but that is also a less likely scenario.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 43


i think its because i didn't mix the top off water well enough. the more i stirred it the better the reading was

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
Deathblooms8788
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 43


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
My guess is that you actually got 1.060, but you measured 1.040 due to inadequate mixing of the top off water.
1 lb grain could contribute about 5 points to a 5 gallon batch, not the 20 points that you think you are off.

-a.
i just took the FG today and it was 1.014 and it was supposed to be 1.018 so pretty close. so should i assume i had a 1.060 and just read it wrong because of the water i added?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,770
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblooms8788 View Post
i just took the FG today and it was 1.014 and it was supposed to be 1.018 so pretty close. so should i assume i had a 1.060 and just read it wrong because of the water i added?
If you're sure you had 5 gallons going in, then yes

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump