Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning bottles

Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
diptherunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Cleaning bottles

Hello all. I am a new brewer and I am about to bottle my first batch. I have a big collection of crud free bottles already. I usually soak them in oxyclean to de-label and clean them. I know they need to be sanitized now. I did a batch in my dishwasher this morning, but they smell like chlorine now. What does everyone else do to not have smelly bottles? Star San rinse? Help!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, then Star-san, then DON'T rinse.

Next time just Oxyclean rinse well and Star-san. I would avoid the diswasher. My $.02.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i always sanitize in the dishwasher on the pots/pans cycle, NO detergent, just steamy hot water and a high temp dry. let cool, star san rinse with my vinator, then bottle away merrily.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I do oxiclean overnight, rinse, then dishwasher with no detergent. Star san and back into the dishwasher rack just to have somewhere to hold them while I bottle. I set my bottling bucket on the counter directly above the dishwasher, keep the dishwasher door open, pull up a chair and bottle away. I pull the bottles out of the dishwasher rack as I go and the dishwasher door catches any drips.

Have fun!!