Sweet mead question: how to stop the yeast - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sweet mead question: how to stop the yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
GhettoDickens
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Boulder, Co
Posts: 35


Hey all,

I am trying to make a semi sweet mead (1.020-1.030) that is 10%. I also want to achieve this without having to back sweeten. Here is my issue:

The yeast I usually use (D47) can easily eat through the honey I am going to add for this recipe (around 7 lbs for a 3 gal batch). So how do I ensure I will retain that residual sweetness...oh, and did I mention I am wanting to add fruit to this?

How do I go about this? Add the the fruit when its a little over half way done fermenting and then sorbate it once I reach my desired FG? How do other people achieve this?

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,258
Liked 230 Times on 210 Posts


With my spiced pumpkin mead I just measured the gravity till it hit 1.022 and then threw it in the fridge and cranked it to it's coldest setting. Once the yeast slowed down 48 hours later I added potassium sorbate and camden tablets per package directions and left it in the fridge for another week or so untill clear. I then racked into a new container with another dose of Camden tablets and watched the fermentation. There was none once warmed to room temp. Gravity did drop with a little fermentation in the fridge and it ended at 1.016. Hope that helps.
__________________
A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
GhettoDickens
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Boulder, Co
Posts: 35

I'm thinking I will do something similar. I'll ferment the mus almost completely, rack onto fruit and monitor the gravity. Than I will sorbate it at around 1.015 if the yeast are still working after the fruit addition.

This will be an experiment I guess...

Thanks for the help!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
KenSchramm
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Troy, MI
Posts: 78
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Just a quick suggestion for future reference - if you cold crash, then rack the mead off leaving behind as much of the yeast as you possibly can, then hit it with the sorbate, you'll have a much better chance of preventing a re-start of the yeast.
__________________
No longer a Junior Member. Thank goodness.

PattyM Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
GinKings
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 582
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDickens View Post
I'll ferment the mus almost completely, rack onto fruit and monitor the gravity. Than I will sorbate it at around 1.015 if the yeast are still working after the fruit addition.
Sorbate (or campden, for that matter) will not stop fermentation. It is used to keep fermentation from restarting. Sorbate keeps the yeast from reproducing. An active fermentation contains millions and millions of yeast cells. Prohibiting them from reproducing doesn't do a lot because you still have millions and millions of active yeast cells.

Refrigeration slows/stops fermentation. The yeast become dormant and settle to the bottom. Racking off the yeast leaves the vast majority of yeast behind. Then, add sorbate and sulfite (campden) to prevent fermentation from starting again.

BoxMan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
GhettoDickens
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Boulder, Co
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSchramm View Post
Just a quick suggestion for future reference - if you cold crash, then rack the mead off leaving behind as much of the yeast as you possibly can, then hit it with the sorbate, you'll have a much better chance of preventing a re-start of the yeast.
Thank you for the advice Mr. Schramm. I will give that a go in the future.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
GhettoDickens
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Boulder, Co
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
Sorbate (or campden, for that matter) will not stop fermentation. It is used to keep fermentation from restarting. Sorbate keeps the yeast from reproducing. An active fermentation contains millions and millions of yeast cells. Prohibiting them from reproducing doesn't do a lot because you still have millions and millions of active yeast cells.

Refrigeration slows/stops fermentation. The yeast become dormant and settle to the bottom. Racking off the yeast leaves the vast majority of yeast behind. Then, add sorbate and sulfite (campden) to prevent fermentation from starting again.
Clearly I am knew to this mead making thing! I definitely did not realize that, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
ErinRae
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
, Ontario
Posts: 163
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


How soon can you bottle after cold crashing for 48 hours, racking off the yeast, then camden and sorbating? I ask because I racked into a container that is larger then my original and I don't want the mead to sit in it that long. Can I bottle right away or within a few hours? or should I put it back in the smaller container?
__________________
Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,258
Liked 230 Times on 210 Posts


About 24 - 48 hours after the camden and sorbate let it warm to room temp. Observe over 3 days after brout to warm temps for 24 hours and take gravity readings. If all stay stable then bottle.
__________________
A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
seth8530
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
knoxville, TN
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Yeah, but remember this is a very hairy proccess... Stopping an active fermentation is always chancy even under the best of circumstances. However, never hurts to try eh?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mead newbie question: how to make a bottle conditioned, sweet, sparkling mead? weirdboy Mead Forum 42 07-08-2016 04:54 AM
Mead Judging - Question about sweet traditional mead jezter6 Mead Forum 5 01-20-2014 05:00 PM
conducting an experiment between bread yeast vs sweet mead yeast in mead STLExpat Mead Forum 40 03-10-2013 09:37 PM
Sweet Mead Yeast Question Texron Mead Forum 19 03-02-2010 04:15 AM
Yeast for Semi Sweet Mead? dubwicht Mead Forum 3 02-19-2005 04:17 AM


Forum Jump