Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > topping up...really neccessary at the degassing stage?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
jagec
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default topping up...really neccessary at the degassing stage?

Just finished transferring a couple of kits...one from primary to secondary, the other from secondary for a new carboy for stabilizing/fining/degassing. Incidentally, their sensitivity to oak-chip clogging and the need for 3-handed operation convinces me that auto-siphons are the tools of Satan intended to corrupt the holy process of winemaking. But that's another story.

After stirring in all of the stabilizers and finings agents, I whipped the wine for a while to get rid of the bulk of the CO2, put the oak spiral from secondary back in (I love oak), and then put it on the Mityvac to finish it off. As I sat there pumping, I got to thinking: If we're pulling all of the CO2 out of solution into the headspace, isn't it redundant to top off the wine? Any oxygen that got into the headspace during the transfer and stirring would surely be driven out by the flood of CO2 released during degassing.

Am I missing something, or is reducing headspace really only necessary once the wine is still?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6220 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
Just finished transferring a couple of kits...one from primary to secondary, the other from secondary for a new carboy for stabilizing/fining/degassing. Incidentally, their sensitivity to oak-chip clogging and the need for 3-handed operation convinces me that auto-siphons are the tools of Satan intended to corrupt the holy process of winemaking. But that's another story.

After stirring in all of the stabilizers and finings agents, I whipped the wine for a while to get rid of the bulk of the CO2, put the oak spiral from secondary back in (I love oak), and then put it on the Mityvac to finish it off. As I sat there pumping, I got to thinking: If we're pulling all of the CO2 out of solution into the headspace, isn't it redundant to top off the wine? Any oxygen that got into the headspace during the transfer and stirring would surely be driven out by the flood of CO2 released during degassing.

Am I missing something, or is reducing headspace really only necessary once the wine is still?
But if there is headspace, and you stick the airlock on, you're essentially trapping all the room air in there. Which means that you can oxidize the wine.

Once fermentation slows, and the c02 is no longer being produced, wine should be topped up.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate.....
What if you transfer and instead of whipping the wine you put on an airlock and use a vacuum pump?

Would topping up be necessary then?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6220 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate.....
What if you transfer and instead of whipping the wine you put on an airlock and use a vacuum pump?

Would topping up be necessary then?
Yes.

Remember that in the headspace, it'll never be 100% co2. Ever. But once fermentation slows down, it'll be even less c02. Room air will be in there also, even if you vacuum pump out much of the c02. If you formed a total vacuum, and pulled out all of the air, then the carboy would implode.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Carboy implosion. I'd like to see that.

Google.