Brewing with new neighbors. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing with new neighbors.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
grssmnperez
Recipes 

May 2012

I am moving into a new neighborhood and am thinking of doing an outdoor brew day to get to know my new neighbors. Does this sound like a good idea?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Jul 2009
texas
Liked 267 Times on 228 Posts

yep. you'll get to know if they're into that or not very quickly

Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Just be careful. We get good at it, but the brew day is full if hazards. Wouldn't want little Johnny to open the ball valve of boiling wort onto his face.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Toga
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Michigan
Liked 71 Times on 63 Posts

Make sure you wear a respirator and a Tyvek coverall when you are brewing. Gives the neighbors a warm fuzzy feeling

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
neosapien

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Dallas, TX
Liked 144 Times on 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Just be careful. We get good at it, but the brew day is full if hazards. Wouldn't want little Johnny to open the ball valve of boiling wort onto his face.
that depends entirely on how much of a nuisance is this little johnny...

davekippen Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

I think it's a grat way to meet the neighbors, but don't be surprised if they start showing up every time they smell something brewing with a pint glass in hand!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Dillonks1
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Tampa, Fl
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sometimes think my neighbors think im cookin something up besides beer

Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
caber2615
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Plymouth, MI
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I find them more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe I am just non social, but my brew days are very relaxing to me and it gives me time to collect my thoughts and just do my own thing. I find when the neighbors come over to watch or join, I end up answering question after question and in turn I miss a hop addition or end up with a boil over, etc. Not only that, then they want free beer later on! (dont get me wrong, I have no problem sharing my beer).

I try to keep my distractions to a minimum on my brew days.

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
RiverCityBrewer

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber2615 View Post
Personally, I find them more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe I am just non social, but my brew days are very relaxing to me and it gives me time to collect my thoughts and just do my own thing. I find when the neighbors come over to watch or join, I end up answering question after question and in turn I miss a hop addition or end up with a boil over, etc. Not only that, then they want free beer later on! (dont get me wrong, I have no problem sharing my beer).

I try to keep my distractions to a minimum on my brew days.
+1 to this - it sounds like a good way to meet them, but I would plan a very simple beer... its easy to get tied up explaining something and forget an addition along the line. Maybe a better display of your skills would be a happy hour/grill out at your place?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Chia
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Cape Girardeau, MO
Liked 77 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
+1 to this - it sounds like a good way to meet them, but I would plan a very simple beer... its easy to get tied up explaining something and forget an addition along the line. Maybe a better display of your skills would be a happy hour/grill out at your place?
i brew with friends all the time. i like to sit around and BS while smoking a cigar and having an extra hand once in a while is cool with me. this past weekend i needed more help than usual, as i blew my knee and had some serious pain killers kickin! had to have help carrying my beer to the fermentation room