Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > GFCI Spa Panel (Hate making a new thread but...)

Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As promised... here are 2 pictures of the main lug and my kal clone control panel hanging on the wall (not connected to anything). I guess it is time to text the electrician and see when he is available... (Oh, don't get all concerned when you notice the white box mounted to the wall down below. It's not some new DIY brewing gadget you don't know about---that is just the control panel for my sprinkler system that I had to move down there.)

I didn't realize how rough that plywood looks from the side--might have to cut another piece to finish that up a bit, just for looks.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Sublimis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks great!

Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
NewBrewB

Recipes 

This is probably the last post I'll make to this thread, but wanted to close the loop.

Went with the 30A built-in GFI breaker, all installed by a licensed electrician ($225 labor...ouch)

Powered-up tonight. Have some things to troubleshoot on the panel (like the volt/amp meters not powering-up) but at least I have juice.

Hoping I'll have time to test it some more next week.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Assoc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Found these on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/GE-THQL1130GFP.../dp/B000HEIVXC

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
It is GE.

I looked at HD today and the only 30A GFCI breakers they had were another brand. I can probably find it online. Actually, I meant to check Lowes to see if they carry the GE one.

I am betting my electrician will have a foot or two of the 10/3 (4 wire) to run from the panel to the outlet. Just a short scrap should do it.

Either way, I am going to skip the spa panel. It seems like most people say it is "cheaper" by comparing the 50A spa to a 50A breaker sold separately. In my case, I am comparing a 50A spa to a 30A breaker and the breaker seems cheaper and simpler.

Thanks for the feedback/advice. I promise to post at least one picture for your viewing pleasure in the near future.
30A gfci breakers are usually more than the $60 it costs for a spa panel with the 50a gfci included...
I use the gfci breaker box as a main power kill switch in my brew room so it has benefits depending on ones setup.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Quote:
This is probably the last post I'll make to this thread, but wanted to close the loop.

Went with the 30A built-in GFI breaker, all installed by a licensed electrician ($225 labor...ouch)

Powered-up tonight. Have some things to troubleshoot on the panel (like the volt/amp meters not powering-up) but at least I have juice.

why does it appear that you used orange extension cord wire to your main 30a plug from the breaker? is it rated for 30a? most arent...

Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Quote:

why does it appear that you used orange 12guage? extension cord wire to your main 30a plug from the breaker? is it rated for 30a? most arent even rated for 20a

Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
why does it appear that you used orange 12guage? extension cord wire to your main 30a plug from the breaker? is it rated for 30a? most arent even rated for 20a

That was real heavy duty stuff, hard to bend/manipulate with bare hands--It was either 10/3 or 10/2 from HD and i had to buy 25' of it for almost $1/ft even though i only ended up needing about 3' for the job. (Installed by a professional electrician. )

Just because it is orange doesn't mean it is an extension cord. I guess ignorance for the purpose of encouraging safety is a positive thing.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
augiedoggy
Recipes 

double post

Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #20
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Quote:
That was real heavy duty stuff, hard to bend/manipulate with bare hands--It was either 10/3 or 10/2 from HD and i had to buy 25' of it for almost $1/ft even though i only ended up needing about 3' for the job. (Installed by a professional electrician. )

Just because it is orange doesn't mean it is an extension cord. I guess ignorance for the purpose of encouraging safety is a positive thing.
I asked because have never seen orange cord used for anything other than an extension cord myself. I dont see much need for a brightly colored cord in a permanent installation but you learn something new every day... in your picture the orange wire appears to be a smaller gauge cord than the black one plugged into the outlet it was feeding.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...9125/204839501

The solid wire 10/3 romex I bought there was red