Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What the Heck?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
rigger7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What the Heck?

Started a batch of Carmel Hard Apple Cider on Wed. noticed this morning that liquid level in my airlock has gone down.
I've heard of cider back sucking before but what causes this and is it a bad thing?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the temperature of the juice cools before fermentation starts, that can do it. You want to avoid this, as airlock water water can get funky, but since it already happened and you are only a couple days in, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger7
Started a batch of Carmel Hard Apple Cider on Wed. noticed this morning that liquid level in my airlock has gone down.
I've heard of cider back sucking before but what causes this and is it a bad thing?
Change in temp usually causes this. Did the cider cool down after you put on the air lock?

It's also happened to me when I put the air lock on a bucket, then picked the bucket up and moved it somewhere else.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
rigger7
Recipes 

Thanks guys,cider is back to norma and bubbling away

Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
Change in temp usually causes this. Did the cider cool down after you put on the air lock?

It's also happened to me when I put the air lock on a bucket, then picked the bucket up and moved it somewhere else.
yeah like imagine squeezing a plastic bottle then have it go back to its original shape, it's gonna suck air in or in this case water. when you carry your plastic carboy/bucket i think this happens.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
smegger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had it happen a few times before. Most of the time for me it has just been gasses blowing the water out the top of the airlock. Even when it hasn't seemed to be actively bubbling away.

Either way I wouldn't be overly worried about it. If you are, just use vodka or something that won't carry bacteria.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
BrokenBarnBrewers
Recipes 

I had the same problem yesterday. I use a 6 gallon glass carboy so I know it wasn't the squeezing that caused the drop in levels in the airlock. I guess it was just maybe the cooling that was taking place. This time I used vodka as the liquid instead of water. It is slowly bubbling away today so things are good.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
rigger7
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the help,I moved the fermentor to a warmer spot and that did the trick!