purchasing corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolsen

Reaction score
Im now curious, is it common to, when you purchase Corny's, that they come with welded patches and or grinders taken to them?

I must say im not to impressed, my first cornys, I was excited ti see they arrived but now I feel as though I may have been f***ed:(

To be honest they are a part of this site, but I would like to give them a chance to respond about the situation before I start to drag their name through the mud...but im at the end of what I've got to drink and my batches that we're to go into those cornys have been sitting in my carboys for about 5 weeks and are begging to be tapped!

I do find it hard to believe that they would have made the mistake of sending 2 cornys in that state, by mistake

Here's some pics the first 2 r inside/outside of grinded keg. The other 2 are the welded.

ForumRunner_20120922_103937.jpg

ForumRunner_20120922_103937.jpg

ForumRunner_20120922_104015.jpg

ForumRunner_20120922_104037.jpg

ForumRunner_20120922_104104.jpg

Well the company that I purchased from say they have never had this issue before. Im a little shocked at my luck of having issues with both. They requested pictures, which I have sent, but haven't responded to me yet. Not a good start so far for my first kegging experience.

The inside welds needs to be ground, smoothed and polished. The outside is just for looks, but still...
To me, as long as the inside was good, I would be too broken up over it (as long as the price was really good).

When I purchased there was nothing stating. That the stainless was compromised, either by weld or by grinder. I wouldn't have such an issue if it didn't damage the inside. The grinder over heated it right through, and the weld is pretty sloppy alot of thick slag inside of the keg. Both make me concerned for my beer if I use them.

heh well I hope 2 things happen... they replace those kegs for you and they don't post in this thread because those look despicable lol

Personally I wouldn't risk using them. I would demand either a full refund or an exchange with them providing the prepaid shipping labels to send them back. Selling you two clearly damaged products is totally unacceptable.

Last time I bought 4 cornies. They all had pespi residue in them. Two of them had spot welds. A lot cleaner then what you have shown.

Mine was buffed inside and I couldn't tell that they were worked on in the outside.

Those welds do not look so clean.

Well I agree, it would've been nice to know that they had been worked on. And it should've been buffed out and cleaned up on the inside. I don't know how anyone could.I can only get my arm a little into a corny and im a pretty thin guy. The pictures don't even make it look as bad as they r. They were taken with my phone and u can't even tell that the slag on the inside sticks out a good 1/4 ". They do hold pressure but if they contaminate my beer then what's the point...

I've got about 10 cornies and while I don't care about the outsides at all (stickers, small dents, busted handles, etc ...) those jagged welds on the inside would make me nervous.

I would say those are dangerous to use. I very seriously doubt they are good to the rated psi anymore (150?). Also it looks like the patch is rusting. Did they weld with SS or regular steel? You need to get replacements for those! Never should have been sent to anyone. My guess is they will give you replacements and then give these to someone else.

Well I have gotten word that they will send me a new tracking id tomorrow. So my guess is that they are sending me 2 replacements. They have told me that any kegs that they have in that kind of shape are to be striped down and scraped so that no one can cause themselves harm.

Well I have gotten word that they will send me a new tracking id tomorrow. So my guess is that they are sending me 2 replacements. They have told me that any kegs that they have in that kind of shape are to be striped down and scraped so that no one can cause themselves harm.

Awesome! Let us know.

Eek I did not like finding this thread! This was us and this is a unfortunate side effect of running a business. I did respond promptly to the emails (It was a weekend and I did respond on a Saturday and Sunday) and had the labels out earlier today. The below email we sent this gentleman should explain what happened:

'Afternoon (privacy edit). Our current kegs are bought already cleaned and pressure tested. When your order came through the relief valve would have been tugged to make sure still pressure and tossed in a box to ship. If anyone had known they were in that condition there is no way in hell they would have shipped. In that state they would have been removed of good parts and put in the stainless bin to sell for scrap at a later date.

When we get kegs that still need washed and tested anything with a hole gets tossed out as well. Loose handles get sold at discounted prices to folks who pop in and ask for some. We have never reworked one.

Your experience was indeed unfortunate and we are sorry that was your impression with us. Replacements have been posted. I do not want the junk ones back. They would however make excellent grain bins or spare parts for you. Sorry for the inconvience of requesting pictures but we do need to do some diligence to understand issues. Those pictures have been forwarded to the supplier that stack of kegs came from."

In conclusion it was just something new to us. We never had the need to look for rework before. We spent the morning inspecting the skids from that supplier and have rejected anything questionable.

Well I just got home from work and looks like everyone knows how things made out. I did have confidence in Ontario beer kegs, and still do, which is why I gave them my business and gave them an opportunity to look into things and respond. I do understand mistakes happen in everything, its all about how you deal with mistakes and even though it was a weekend, after their hours, they take the time to go through emails and make sure their customers are happy. To conclude, I definitely will continue to deal with Ontario beer kegs and will continue to tell my fellow brewers out here to seriously consider purchasing through them.

Good to hear that this is resolving so well. Ontariobeerkegs didn't have to step up and admit it was them, but the fact that they did, and explained and then apologized, and made it up to you gives me a very good impression of them!

Yes I agree, I didn't want to even include their name at all, as long as things we're made better. As I said in the previous post, I sure wouldn't hesitate to use them again they showed class with how they dealt with an honest mistake.

And it is true, as they said in their post they had issued a response, an apology and made things better before they had noticed this thread. Just how any good business should...

Bravo OntarioBeerKegs. Customer service is what it is all about, no matter what you're selling. And kudos to you, jolsen, for not coming on here and ripping them, but instead allowing them to make it right. Gotta love a happy ending.

Back