Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > smack pack question

Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
nursling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default smack pack question

I received my beer ingredients kit on Wednesday when i opened my package i noticed the yeast smack pack had been activated during shipment the pack was swollen and tight. I called midwest and they said they would ship me out a new packet. I put the smack pack in the fridge the pressure in the pack lessened it is not so rigid. What should i do with this yeast is it safe to use i would really like to brew today (Friday) could this yeast be used safely, or should i chuck it in the trash?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When do you expect the new packet. If you think you'll get it tomorrow I'd go ahead and brew, then pitch your yeast tomorrow. I've done that before and had no problems. Just make sure your ferm vessel is properly sanitized and you've got an airlock on there and you should be fine.

In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yep, depends on how fast they'll ship it to you. If you don't think it'll arrive tomorrow, pitch with what you have now.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
mtk6006
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
nursling
Recipes 

Default what online company.

Which company provides the best service and quality of shipment?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
mtk6006
Recipes 

Well homebrewer outpost are nice tell you when order is recieved tracking numbers and are nice. Midwest doesnt do any of that....good customer service so far for me. Give em a call. I think webpage is homebrewers.com

Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!
Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
mtk6006
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.
Ha! Thats not what i said! I asked and they couldnt tell me anything if still viable! After 3 people on phone and same old run around i think not and yeast in 100 degree heat for 10 days? Uhhhhhhhh no......

Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.
This!

I tend to not use liquid yeast that's been shipped due to unknown shipping temperatures, but the pack being activated should not be a source of any issues, IMHO.