smack pack question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > smack pack question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
nursling
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
pace, fl
Posts: 4


I received my beer ingredients kit on Wednesday when i opened my package i noticed the yeast smack pack had been activated during shipment the pack was swollen and tight. I called midwest and they said they would ship me out a new packet. I put the smack pack in the fridge the pressure in the pack lessened it is not so rigid. What should i do with this yeast is it safe to use i would really like to brew today (Friday) could this yeast be used safely, or should i chuck it in the trash?

Thanks for your help.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 258
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


When do you expect the new packet. If you think you'll get it tomorrow I'd go ahead and brew, then pitch your yeast tomorrow. I've done that before and had no problems. Just make sure your ferm vessel is properly sanitized and you've got an airlock on there and you should be fine.
__________________
In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
aiptasia
 
aiptasia's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,487
Liked 542 Times on 479 Posts


Yep, depends on how fast they'll ship it to you. If you don't think it'll arrive tomorrow, pitch with what you have now.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
bchurch
 
bchurch's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Mont Clare, Pa
Posts: 393
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts


The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
mtk6006
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
nursling
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
pace, fl
Posts: 4

Which company provides the best service and quality of shipment?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
mtk6006
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Well homebrewer outpost are nice tell you when order is recieved tracking numbers and are nice. Midwest doesnt do any of that....good customer service so far for me. Give em a call. I think webpage is homebrewers.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
illinois
Posts: 1,883
Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
Same thing happened to me! I called got the run around from them and will never in my life do biz with them again! I got pissed and threw it away! I swear they packed it activated bc box wasnt even dented! I hope you have better luck then i did. Oh and watch credit card on another order i made they charged me and didnt ship! Took two weeks to get them off their asses! They want your money they just dont wanna work! @#$$%%&&&&&&**---+++())+-*&%%##@@$%&*()!!!!!!!!!! profanity!!!!!!
Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.
__________________
~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
mtk6006
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Just remember, you're dealing with humans, and it helps to have people skills. If I ran a business, and someone called and said "My $&%*^& smack pack arrived swollen, you @%$#s must have packed it wrong, send me another!", I don't think I'd want to do business with them either.

If the packet arrives swollen, that means the yeast is alive. Why is that a problem? Sheesh. Stick it in the fridge, and use it, it's fine.
Ha! Thats not what i said! I asked and they couldnt tell me anything if still viable! After 3 people on phone and same old run around i think not and yeast in 100 degree heat for 10 days? Uhhhhhhhh no......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
bobbrewedit
 
bobbrewedit's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
, California
Posts: 296
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
The nutrient pack probably popped in transport. I see no reason not to use it. I would say make a starter but since you plan on using it today that's not an option. Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to throw it away.
This!

I tend to not use liquid yeast that's been shipped due to unknown shipping temperatures, but the pack being activated should not be a source of any issues, IMHO.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast Starter - Smack Pack Question JBZSTL Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-28-2011 06:02 PM
Wyeast smack pack question iswenson Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 01-17-2010 07:48 PM
Wyeast smack pack question mikechambers Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-23-2008 09:10 PM
smack pack question stevecaaster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-21-2008 02:37 PM
Making Chocolate Oatmeal stout. OG question and smack pack starter Question. britishbloke Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-23-2007 06:01 PM


Forum Jump