Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cool mold, bad beer? Good pic

Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
bbells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, after taking a taste I will keg it from under the floating crazies and let my buddies try it first. The worse that will happen is I will need to dump it out of the keg.
It is Old Castle, a New Castle clone.
Thanks for your help everyone. I will update with the results.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperry View Post
From my experience here in HBT, Most would say that wild sour infections usually never turn out good. Besides that, sours take a really long time to get sour. Some people may also tell you to rack from under it, bottle/keg, and drink it quickly before it starts to taste really bad.
I had 10 gallons of this infection and I just tossed it and rebrewed. You can try to salvage by racking and cooling ASAP to slow the infection but it wan't worth it to me -- especially after factoring in all of the equipment that would have been exposed to the bugs (racking equip, kegging equip, hoses, taps, etc.) and the time to clean.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Have you ever had this infection before? Make sure all equipment is extremely clean after, so that nothing lingers in the next batches.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
kirkosaurus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had two batches get infected like this and they turned out to be great beers.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
bbells
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, never had this before. I transferred it to a keg and it smells and tastes fine. A little flat, ha ha. Soaking the carboy in IO Star Sanitizer right now - Including hose etc. I will probably rinse with bleach after this. I guess it will be a few weeks before I test it again. Good thing I have several kegs. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts

I'd replace all cold side hoses after this, along with the siphon/autosiphon, and keep them for future sour beers.

Just as an aside, do you crush your grain in the same room you ferment in ? Grain has lacto crawling all over it and it can get in the beer, even if you are careful.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
I'd replace all cold side hoses after this, along with the siphon/autosiphon, and keep them for future sour beers.

Just as an aside, do you crush your grain in the same room you ferment in ? Grain has lacto crawling all over it and it can get in the beer, even if you are careful.
This isn't necessarily needed. I brewed a berliner (turned out terribly). It's the only sour I've brewed but it touched my autosiphon and all the hoses with that, my thief, my keg, my airlock, my carboy. I didn't replace any of it. However I'm an absolute nazi when it comes to sanitation. Everything got a good long soak in PBC first, then a hot water rinse, then a good long soak in starsan. I've brewed two beers since without any infection.
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfPR View Post
This isn't necessarily needed. I brewed a berliner (turned out terribly). It's the only sour I've brewed but it touched my autosiphon and all the hoses with that, my thief, my keg, my airlock, my carboy. I didn't replace any of it. However I'm an absolute nazi when it comes to sanitation. Everything got a good long soak in PBC first, then a hot water rinse, then a good long soak in starsan. I've brewed two beers since without any infection.
The reason I say to trash plastic is that if it has scratches because of wear and tear, lacto can get in there and stay in there, even with a rigorous cleaning and sanitation regimen. I reason that an 8$ siphon along with 2-3$ of hose are not worth losing another batch of beer over.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
I had 10 gallons of this infection and I just tossed it and rebrewed. You can try to salvage by racking and cooling ASAP to slow the infection but it wan't worth it to me -- especially after factoring in all of the equipment that would have been exposed to the bugs (racking equip, kegging equip, hoses, taps, etc.) and the time to clean.

100%

Not worth it. I would call it a day and move on.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
bbells
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Just an update. The beer has now been in the cornelius keg for about a month. I opened the keg and checked it. The beer was nice and clear and nothing growing on the top. I guess siphoning all but the top 2 inches actually did the trick. Will be tasting it in another couple weeks. Thanks for your help!