Cool mold, bad beer? Good pic - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cool mold, bad beer? Good pic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
bbells
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Delano, MN
Posts: 10
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Ok, after taking a taste I will keg it from under the floating crazies and let my buddies try it first. The worse that will happen is I will need to dump it out of the keg.
It is Old Castle, a New Castle clone.
Thanks for your help everyone. I will update with the results.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
rhamilton
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,249
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jperry View Post
From my experience here in HBT, Most would say that wild sour infections usually never turn out good. Besides that, sours take a really long time to get sour. Some people may also tell you to rack from under it, bottle/keg, and drink it quickly before it starts to taste really bad.
I had 10 gallons of this infection and I just tossed it and rebrewed. You can try to salvage by racking and cooling ASAP to slow the infection but it wan't worth it to me -- especially after factoring in all of the equipment that would have been exposed to the bugs (racking equip, kegging equip, hoses, taps, etc.) and the time to clean.
__________________
On Deck: Cornucopia Oktoberfest
Primary: Centennial Blonde v2, Ed Wort's Kolsch
Secondary: none
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
jperry
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
SD, CA
Posts: 718
Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts


Have you ever had this infection before? Make sure all equipment is extremely clean after, so that nothing lingers in the next batches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
kirkosaurus
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Smyrna, TN
Posts: 103
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I've had two batches get infected like this and they turned out to be great beers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
bbells
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Delano, MN
Posts: 10
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Yep, never had this before. I transferred it to a keg and it smells and tastes fine. A little flat, ha ha. Soaking the carboy in IO Star Sanitizer right now - Including hose etc. I will probably rinse with bleach after this. I guess it will be a few weeks before I test it again. Good thing I have several kegs. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 1,633
Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts


I'd replace all cold side hoses after this, along with the siphon/autosiphon, and keep them for future sour beers.

Just as an aside, do you crush your grain in the same room you ferment in ? Grain has lacto crawling all over it and it can get in the beer, even if you are careful.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 258
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
I'd replace all cold side hoses after this, along with the siphon/autosiphon, and keep them for future sour beers.

Just as an aside, do you crush your grain in the same room you ferment in ? Grain has lacto crawling all over it and it can get in the beer, even if you are careful.
This isn't necessarily needed. I brewed a berliner (turned out terribly). It's the only sour I've brewed but it touched my autosiphon and all the hoses with that, my thief, my keg, my airlock, my carboy. I didn't replace any of it. However I'm an absolute nazi when it comes to sanitation. Everything got a good long soak in PBC first, then a hot water rinse, then a good long soak in starsan. I've brewed two beers since without any infection.
__________________
In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
jfr1111
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 1,633
Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfPR View Post
This isn't necessarily needed. I brewed a berliner (turned out terribly). It's the only sour I've brewed but it touched my autosiphon and all the hoses with that, my thief, my keg, my airlock, my carboy. I didn't replace any of it. However I'm an absolute nazi when it comes to sanitation. Everything got a good long soak in PBC first, then a hot water rinse, then a good long soak in starsan. I've brewed two beers since without any infection.
The reason I say to trash plastic is that if it has scratches because of wear and tear, lacto can get in there and stay in there, even with a rigorous cleaning and sanitation regimen. I reason that an 8$ siphon along with 2-3$ of hose are not worth losing another batch of beer over.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
BradleyBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Parris Island, USA
Posts: 1,751
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
I had 10 gallons of this infection and I just tossed it and rebrewed. You can try to salvage by racking and cooling ASAP to slow the infection but it wan't worth it to me -- especially after factoring in all of the equipment that would have been exposed to the bugs (racking equip, kegging equip, hoses, taps, etc.) and the time to clean.

100%

Not worth it. I would call it a day and move on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
bbells
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Delano, MN
Posts: 10
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Just an update. The beer has now been in the cornelius keg for about a month. I opened the keg and checked it. The beer was nice and clear and nothing growing on the top. I guess siphoning all but the top 2 inches actually did the trick. Will be tasting it in another couple weeks. Thanks for your help!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold in my beer??? beanbagz1 General Beer Discussion 3 08-30-2012 02:30 AM
Possible mold on a fruit beer Pianosa General Beer Discussion 5 07-29-2012 04:32 AM
That Beer Is Cool, Dad Brewsmith General Beer Discussion 6 03-07-2009 12:11 AM
Beer Map - this is cool! Rhoobarb General Beer Discussion 5 03-02-2006 10:10 AM
Is that mold in my beer? smorris General Beer Discussion 3 01-04-2005 12:35 PM


Forum Jump