Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you search before posting?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
stratslinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Yeah, I try to search most things - but the search feature on the site itself is pretty woefully inadequate. Most of the time, I go to Google and get better search results back to here - but I do get results.

Oftentimes though, you'll find you're looking for something very specific to a given situation though, and searching just doesn't quite get there. A few days ago I was ruminating on RIMS tubes and wondering if I could pull one off with 120V - search is absolutely perfect for that, but Google search, not the one built into this site (sorry HBT, it's a sad truth - I could've waded through those search results for 10 or 15 minutes, maybe more, and probably found an answer or used Google and found the answer in about 45 seconds, guess which option won). But this summer when I was considering just how much, if any, Rye malt to add to the blueberry ale I was planning, well, that seemed pretty dang situational (considering the rest of the specific recipe I was considering and all), so I started up a new to discuss that particular question.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
If half the people here knew what they thought they knew its be perfect but its not.
Right on, brother! And not all questions have a single right answer. It's annoying as hell to read someone's advice based on personal experience and then have some know-it-all claim his way is the only right way.

People Like This 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I usually answer a question if I know the answer... not just post the Google Search thing... I freakin hate that... If people are wasting ur time, then use another forum... If you everyone took the time to answer instead of complaining, it would be better

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6033 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

I sometimes do, sometimes don't. It depends on what I"m wondering about.

This is a forum, so it's important that people feel free to post. In fact, it's against our policy to reply "Use the search!". If no one could post about anything that's already been discussed, we'd no longer have a forum at all.

Discussion is the whole point of the forum. No one should ever be dissuaded from posting.

Oh, except for "Did you hear the White House is homebrewing?"!!!!!!!!!!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Minky Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I rarely search, if it is an imposition to answer my question despite someone else asking the same question previously then don't bother yourself with it.
It's not like anyone has to go through this forum and answer questions.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I search the forum or google the question I have, and most times it will be answered. I mostly only make new threads only for my new brews to share and get feedback on them.
I dont mind answering a simple question when it pops up, but leave the difficult questions to the vets, since im still a beginner.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I sometimes do, sometimes don't. It depends on what I"m wondering about.

This is a forum, so it's important that people feel free to post. In fact, it's against our policy to reply "Use the search!". If no one could post about anything that's already been discussed, we'd no longer have a forum at all.

Discussion is the whole point of the forum. No one should ever be dissuaded from posting.

Oh, except for "Did you hear the White House is homebrewing?"!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, the White House is brewing?? Since when??

Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
sww35
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am not gonna lie, I don't search. If I wanted to search for an answer, I'd use google and not homebrewtalk.com The name of the site suggest the true intention of the site to me. If searching was the primary concept behind a site like this, I image the site domain would be homebrewsearch.com.

From my readings, there are folks like Revvy with so much knowledge to offer, I like posting a question and hoping someone like him or the other vets on this site will answer and share with me directly a little piece of the experience they have.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have found that if one does search google for answers one ends up back here, I am not a rocket surgeon or brain scientist I do search for advice sure alot of different advice is given, I dont want to make up a beer, I just want to brew a good beer and take the advice that makes the most sense, what I found in the begining was when something is being explained,is WHY it is done this or that way, it is knowing WHY that makes us understand,what is straight forward for some is not for others. I am more guilty than most when explaining something in my field I expect the person whom I am explaining to to have a certain basic knowledge but this is not always the case.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5865 Times on 5099 Posts
Likes Given: 80

God no! When you've been around here this long you've already read every post anyway.