Constant Aeration Of Wort During Ferment Stage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
I was contemplating on my next batch to insert my fish tank hose with airstone into the primary to give the beer extra air during the entire fermentation process. Would this be beneficial, or should I just continue the normal way by sloshing it up real good before pitching ?.........

there's a bigger risk of it being detrimental than beneficial, i wouldnt do it beyond the first 24 hours. any oxygen the yeast don't consume is a problem

That would be a real good way to oxidize your beer. Does stale, cardboard flavored beer sound good?

The right way to oxygenate your wort is at the very beginning when the yeast need the O2 to reproduce and build their cell counts. At a certain point you need to make them switch to eating sugars. If you keep adding oxygen they cannot use it all and it will combine with the beer causing off flavors.

A second oxygenation event is rarely used and only for VERY big beers which need more O2 than a single aeration could provide.

That would be a real good way to oxidize your beer. Does stale, cardboard flavored beer sound good?

The right way to oxygenate your wort is at the very beginning when the yeast need the O2 to reproduce and build their cell counts. At a certain point you need to make them switch to eating sugars. If you keep adding oxygen they cannot use it all and it will combine with the beer causing off flavors.

A second oxygenation event is rarely used and only for VERY big beers which need more O2 than a single aeration could provide.

Duly noted ! Ok, I'll scratch the idea. Thanks !

I believe I read in "Yeast" the yeast labs will continually add oxygen to grow the yeast more quickly. This doesn't mean it makes good beer. It makes more yeast. Not everything worth doing is is worth over doing.

Back