IPA / Mitch Steele - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IPA / Mitch Steele

Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Maxkling
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Anyone listen to this episode of The Sunday Session a few weeks ago? I was very interested in the discussion about the book he wrote about this history of IPA's and the "huge myth" that IPA's originally were hopped a lot to avoid spoiling on the long journey to India.

I was pretty surprised no one, that I know of, really did in depth research about the IPA before this.

Discuss.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
libeerty
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts

Expecting delivery of the book today--pumped to read it.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
govner1
Kept Man!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 382 Times on 321 Posts

I received my copy late last week. I'm a out 1/3 of the way through it & it is an excellent read with a terrific historical perspective on the English brewing industry and the development of IPA's and how they've changed over the centuries.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
sweed
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Salem, NH
Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts

Wow, I did not know that. I have been telling people a lie them! :|

I guess that the higher alcoholic content of the IPA's is what made them not go bad too early?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

I'm looking forward to picking it up. Unfortunately I joined AHA right after they were doing their presale for it, so I'll probably grab it from Amazon at some point.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
DangerRoss
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Got it in my hands, starting to read it now. I'll be back in like a month when I'm done.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Maxkling
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
Wow, I did not know that. I have been telling people a lie them! :|

I guess that the higher alcoholic content of the IPA's is what made them not go bad too early?
In the book it states, they were aged in the barrel 8 to 12 months before the voyage, so the whole concept of it having high alcohol or high ibus for stability is false. Also porters were right along side of the IPA's during the voyage. There is a great deal of information that totally negates everything I, and most people, have learned about the history of the IPA.

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkling

In the book it states, they were aged in the barrel 8 to 12 months before the voyage, so the whole concept of it having high alcohol or high ibus for stability is false. Also porters were right along side of the IPA's during the voyage. There is a great deal of information that totally negates everything I, and most people, have learned about the history of the IPA.
Actually from what I garnered most of the original IPAs went through two fermentations. The first was directly pitched yeast and then the beer aged, carbonation was then bled out and the second fermentation actually occurred during the voyage from the wild yeast that permeated the wooden casks. Because the alcohol content was already high infections were not a concern during the long sea voyage.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
quadmx08
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Peoria, Illinois
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just downloaded this episode excited to listen to it.

Bottled
Hillbilly Wheat, 777 new albian clone, Drunken Troll American Barleywine

Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Groo
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Torrance, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This book was an excellent read and was hard to put down. Its interesting to read how different IPAs were affected by different factors. The rise and fall of abv and hopping rates, aging time, etc. The recipes are not super straight forward but it they provide enough detail to get you in the ballpark of some of the historical IPAs. It really made me wish I could try one of the ultra bitter historical IPAs.