what to brew - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > what to brew
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
xhcadamx
Recipes 

Default what to brew

I have (on hand) Maris Otter, Columbus, Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, and Zythos hops, as well as a mixed culture of London Ale III and West Yorkshire yeast. Willing to pick up specialty malts only. What do I brew???

Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7303 Times on 5165 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhcadamx View Post
I have (on hand) Maris Otter, Columbus, Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, and Zythos hops, as well as a mixed culture of London Ale III and West Yorkshire yeast. Willing to pick up specialty malts only. What do I brew???
Mmmm. You've got American hops, but UK malt and UK yeast. You'll have to make a hybrid IPA, or an English pale ale with American hops.

What about a mild? I know it sounds crazy, but it'd be sort of like an American brown, only with lower gravity- and some yeast character and some citrus character from the hops.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
xhcadamx
Recipes 

guess I should have said this but the yeast is from a mild I just brewed.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7303 Times on 5165 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhcadamx View Post
guess I should have said this but the yeast is from a mild I just brewed.
Ah. Well, with intensely flavored American hops, your choices are severely limited. I guess just an IPA, but a hybridized weird one, would be the next logical step.