belgian dubbel & secondary - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > belgian dubbel & secondary

Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
grimzella
Recipes 

Jan 2012
washington, pa
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I have an all grain Belgian dubbel in the primary. the og was 1.065 ingredients were found at byo.com. my question is, should I secondary this brew? or will bottle conditioning be fine? some say to secondary and some say it's not necessary. since this is my first all grain and first somewhat high gravity, I am just a little unclear as to what a secondary fermentation (Carboy) will do to Benefit. or will I get the same results with only a primary fermentation (4 weeks) and bottle condition of 6 months?

thank you,
dave

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

IMO you can really do either and I don't think there would be a huge benefit to either one. If you want to bulk condition use a secondary and then bottle, otherwise bottle condition once the beer reaches final gravity and clears. If you choose to secondary be sure you wait until fermentation is complete before moving the beer.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 351 Times on 305 Posts

Just for simplicity, and the fact you mentioned you like a 4 week primary- I'd bottle straight from primary. No need to add an extra step- your beer should be pretty drinkable out of primary

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com