Video - Stovetop BIAB 2-1/2 gal All Grain - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Video - Stovetop BIAB 2-1/2 gal All Grain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
halfbrew70
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts



I posted a video on YouTube that documents my first BIAB batch.

Electric Stovetop
BIAB
All Grain
2-1/2 gal

It's a simple process that beginners might find interesting.


We can never have too many photos or videos, right?



4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Catmandu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Catmandu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Everett, WA
Posts: 22

Nicely done ... except for the music. Making beer deserves rock & roll!


__________________
9 Lives Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
mikemet
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
levittown, new york
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


good job bro
__________________
Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Manny_E
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 79


nice! can I have one?

what was the beer kit you used?
__________________
Manny E.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


A few notes/questions:

First off, nicely done however I feel like it would be better if it ended with a picture of you passed out on the couch surrounded by bottles.
Just curious as to what kind of efficiency you get? I get about 60% but I don't sparge when I do small stove top batches.
Did I see you bottling filler/wand thing attached to your auto-siphon or were they just sitting in the empty bottling bucket together? If so you should drill that bottling bucket and put in a spigot to attach it to in there, it's way easier.
Finally, I dig the bluegrass!
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
halfbrew70
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_E View Post
what was the beer kit you used?
American Brown Ale (milled all grain option) from Austin Homebrew Supply.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jwalk4's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Posts: 934
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts


Wow, did you only need to sparge with 2qts of water? Did you just put the bag in another pot and pour 2 qts of 170 degree water over it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
halfbrew70
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
...Just curious as to what kind of efficiency you get? I get about 60% but I don't sparge when I do small stove top batches...
I'm not sure about my efficiency. According to the software that I used, on this first batch I got 86%, BUT I had taken the pre-boil specific gravity reading at 165F. I later learned that the reading could be off at that temp, even with the correction applied. This was my first batch (learning). My original gravity was 1.056 and the recipe called for 1.041, so something good must have happened. Ended up with 4.6% ABV.

For my next batch, I cooled the pre-boil sample down to 119F before taking the specific gravity reading. Got a 76% efficiency reading. Still ended up with 4.6% ABV after all was said and done, though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
halfbrew70
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
Wow, did you only need to sparge with 2qts of water? Did you just put the bag in another pot and pour 2 qts of 170 degree water over it?
Yeah, only 2 quarts. But, it was only a 2.5 gal batch. I set the bag on a strainer, resting over a pot.

I started with 3 gal for the mash. After the 2 qt. sparge and one hour boil, I ended up with 2.5 gal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbrew70 View Post
I'm not sure about my efficiency. According to the software that I used, on this first batch I got 86%, BUT I had taken the pre-boil specific gravity reading at 165F. I later learned that the reading could be off at that temp, even with the correction applied. This was my first batch (learning). My original gravity was 1.056 and the recipe called for 1.041, so something good must have happened. Ended up with 4.6% ABV.

For my next batch, I cooled the pre-boil sample down to 119F before taking the specific gravity reading. Got a 76% efficiency reading. Still ended up with 4.6% ABV after all was said and done, though.
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...ydrometer.html

There's a hydrometer temp correction calculator I use. Sounds like you got something working for you if you hit over the recommended OG. Good job!


__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1038 05-30-2016 12:14 AM
Where to watch a good all grain brew video McGlothan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-19-2012 09:51 PM
All Grain video I found Doctor_Wily Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 04-06-2012 05:59 PM
All Grain-All Stovetop? Ludovico Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 08-24-2010 06:30 PM
all grain on electric stovetop, is it possible? zodiak3000 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 03-03-2010 06:48 PM


Forum Jump