Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz)

Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #41
groosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I added at bottling time.

Remember to use cold pressed coffee!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #42
FermentEd

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by groosh View Post
I added at bottling time.

Remember to use cold pressed coffee!
Correct. At bottling/kegging. Use cold brewed coffee to keep the bitterness low.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
BREWCREW44
Recipes 

Brewing this receipe today. Thanks for the help! I will post details and maybe throw up a picture.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #44
BREWCREW44
Recipes 

ok so i brewed this last night and primary is underway. Mashed with 4.5 gallons and it yielded maybe 2.5 gallons. Sparged with about 5.5 gallons to get up to the 7 gallion boil. I was suprised that the batch size actually got down to a little less then 5.5 gallons.... So that's where I am - The color is not black black but a very very dark brown like others have stated. It tastes good and I am pleased so far. Thanks for the recipe.

Quick Question: Did you have any concerns adding the cacao nibs to the secondary in regards to sanitation? I was going to buy some nibs from the local co-op that carries them. Do I need to do anything to the nibs before adding to the secondary for 2 weeks?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #45
Taffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWCREW44 View Post
ok so i brewed this last night and primary is underway. Mashed with 4.5 gallons and it yielded maybe 2.5 gallons. Sparged with about 5.5 gallons to get up to the 7 gallion boil. I was suprised that the batch size actually got down to a little less then 5.5 gallons.... So that's where I am - The color is not black black but a very very dark brown like others have stated. It tastes good and I am pleased so far. Thanks for the recipe.

Quick Question: Did you have any concerns adding the cacao nibs to the secondary in regards to sanitation? I was going to buy some nibs from the local co-op that carries them. Do I need to do anything to the nibs before adding to the secondary for 2 weeks?
I used 9oz of raw cacao nibs without any treatment. Didn't bother with secondary, just added them into primary after 2 weeks and left them there for 2 more weeks prior to bottling. Its been bottle conditioning now for two weeks and has turned out fine with no contamination. I did soak the vanilla bean in a small quantity of vodka to help extract the vanillin prior to addition. As an aside, due to an auto syphon malfuntion during transfer I had to maunal syphon by mouth very carefully, and am relieved that the batch survived!! The cacao nibs clogged the syphon so some sort of filter!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #46
BREWCREW44
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffman View Post
I used 9oz of raw cacao nibs without any treatment. Didn't bother with secondary, just added them into primary after 2 weeks and left them there for 2 more weeks prior to bottling. Its been bottle conditioning now for two weeks and has turned out fine with no contamination. I did soak the vanilla bean in a small quantity of vodka to help extract the vanillin prior to addition. As an aside, due to an auto syphon malfuntion during transfer I had to maunal syphon by mouth very carefully, and am relieved that the batch survived!! The cacao nibs clogged the syphon so some sort of filter!
Hey thanks a lot for the tip on filtering out the cacao nibs before doing the auto syphon. I didn't even think about that.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #47
BREWCREW44
Recipes 

Another quick question. So my HomeBrew store didn't carry Servomyces Tablets which speed up the fermentation process. Should I keep my beer in the primary longer because of this? If so another week?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #48
Taffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Another quick question. So my HomeBrew store didn't carry Servomyces Tablets which speed up the fermentation process. Should I keep my beer in the primary longer because of this? If so another week?
Leaving it a week longer won't do it any harm, but you should be able to tell when fermentation has finished when the final gravity has been reached (~1.027) and is stable.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #49
BREWCREW44
Recipes 

I was thinking the same, in regards to it wouldn't hurt, but I ended up putting the 5.5 gallon batch in like a 13 gallon carboy and it's pretty hard to take gravity readings. Not the smartest idea on my behalf

Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #50
marshallbertram
Recipes 

Quote:
I was thinking the same, in regards to it wouldn't hurt, but I ended up putting the 5.5 gallon batch in like a 13 gallon carboy and it's pretty hard to take gravity readings. Not the smartest idea on my behalf
No, that wasn't very smart of you.

A quick question: I was going to take ~a gallon and add chilis to the secondary with the nibs and leave out the coffee, as an experimental side batch. Any recommendations for a little carboy I could use to do this? I had an old Mr. Beer barrel that caused an experimental batch to get infected last time, so I want something I can rely on.