Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #41
groosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 21
Default


I added at bottling time.

Remember to use cold pressed coffee!
groosh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #42
FermentEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FermentEd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 142
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by groosh View Post
I added at bottling time.

Remember to use cold pressed coffee!
Correct. At bottling/kegging. Use cold brewed coffee to keep the bitterness low.
FermentEd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #43
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 16
Default


Brewing this receipe today. Thanks for the help! I will post details and maybe throw up a picture.
BREWCREW44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #44
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 16
Default


ok so i brewed this last night and primary is underway. Mashed with 4.5 gallons and it yielded maybe 2.5 gallons. Sparged with about 5.5 gallons to get up to the 7 gallion boil. I was suprised that the batch size actually got down to a little less then 5.5 gallons.... So that's where I am - The color is not black black but a very very dark brown like others have stated. It tastes good and I am pleased so far. Thanks for the recipe.

Quick Question: Did you have any concerns adding the cacao nibs to the secondary in regards to sanitation? I was going to buy some nibs from the local co-op that carries them. Do I need to do anything to the nibs before adding to the secondary for 2 weeks?
BREWCREW44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #45
Taffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cork
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWCREW44 View Post
ok so i brewed this last night and primary is underway. Mashed with 4.5 gallons and it yielded maybe 2.5 gallons. Sparged with about 5.5 gallons to get up to the 7 gallion boil. I was suprised that the batch size actually got down to a little less then 5.5 gallons.... So that's where I am - The color is not black black but a very very dark brown like others have stated. It tastes good and I am pleased so far. Thanks for the recipe.

Quick Question: Did you have any concerns adding the cacao nibs to the secondary in regards to sanitation? I was going to buy some nibs from the local co-op that carries them. Do I need to do anything to the nibs before adding to the secondary for 2 weeks?
I used 9oz of raw cacao nibs without any treatment. Didn't bother with secondary, just added them into primary after 2 weeks and left them there for 2 more weeks prior to bottling. Its been bottle conditioning now for two weeks and has turned out fine with no contamination. I did soak the vanilla bean in a small quantity of vodka to help extract the vanillin prior to addition. As an aside, due to an auto syphon malfuntion during transfer I had to maunal syphon by mouth very carefully, and am relieved that the batch survived!! The cacao nibs clogged the syphon so some sort of filter!
Taffman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #46
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 16
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffman View Post
I used 9oz of raw cacao nibs without any treatment. Didn't bother with secondary, just added them into primary after 2 weeks and left them there for 2 more weeks prior to bottling. Its been bottle conditioning now for two weeks and has turned out fine with no contamination. I did soak the vanilla bean in a small quantity of vodka to help extract the vanillin prior to addition. As an aside, due to an auto syphon malfuntion during transfer I had to maunal syphon by mouth very carefully, and am relieved that the batch survived!! The cacao nibs clogged the syphon so some sort of filter!
Hey thanks a lot for the tip on filtering out the cacao nibs before doing the auto syphon. I didn't even think about that.
BREWCREW44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #47
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 16
Default


Another quick question. So my HomeBrew store didn't carry Servomyces Tablets which speed up the fermentation process. Should I keep my beer in the primary longer because of this? If so another week?
BREWCREW44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #48
Taffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cork
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWCREW44 View Post
Another quick question. So my HomeBrew store didn't carry Servomyces Tablets which speed up the fermentation process. Should I keep my beer in the primary longer because of this? If so another week?
Leaving it a week longer won't do it any harm, but you should be able to tell when fermentation has finished when the final gravity has been reached (~1.027) and is stable.
Taffman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #49
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 16
Default


I was thinking the same, in regards to it wouldn't hurt, but I ended up putting the 5.5 gallon batch in like a 13 gallon carboy and it's pretty hard to take gravity readings. Not the smartest idea on my behalf
BREWCREW44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #50
marshallbertram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: buffalo
Posts: 9
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWCREW44 View Post
I was thinking the same, in regards to it wouldn't hurt, but I ended up putting the 5.5 gallon batch in like a 13 gallon carboy and it's pretty hard to take gravity readings. Not the smartest idea on my behalf
No, that wasn't very smart of you.

A quick question: I was going to take ~a gallon and add chilis to the secondary with the nibs and leave out the coffee, as an experimental side batch. Any recommendations for a little carboy I could use to do this? I had an old Mr. Beer barrel that caused an experimental batch to get infected last time, so I want something I can rely on.
marshallbertram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout.. GIusedtoBe Recipes/Ingredients 142 01-20-2013 07:02 PM
Chocolate Coffee Stout Shonuff Recipes/Ingredients 6 03-01-2011 08:31 PM
Chocolate-Coffee-Raspberry Imperial Stout oberon567 Recipes/Ingredients 44 10-05-2010 02:16 AM
Another Chocolate Coffee Stout z987k Stout 9 11-02-2009 03:40 PM
Chocolate Coffee Stout...with Floaters?!?! AstroBrew Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-07-2009 04:52 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS