Pale Ale Malt - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pale Ale Malt

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
jwalker1140
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Glendale, CA
Posts: 571
Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts



I'd like to brew two beers that use Pale Ale Malt: Mirror Pond (the CYBI recipe) and Goose Island Green Line. Mirror Pond uses Great Western and Green Line uses Briess. My LHBS doesn't carry either of those so I'm hoping someone can suggest something similar from the following list base malts they do carry. Thanks!

GOLDEN PROMISE, 2.3L - 3.0L, THOMAS FAWCETT & SONS. A Plae Ale base malt, grown in Scotland. Produces a sweet, mellow wort. Excellent for general brewing and distilling.
ENGLISH PALE. Maris Otter 2-row, 4L, low protein, well modified, low D.P..
BELGIAN EXPORT PALE. 2-row, 4L, well modified, 10% low Total protein, 4% Soluble protein, low D.P..
GAMBRINUS ESB PALE. 2-row Harrington, well modified, 3L, 10.9% low Total protein, 5% Soluble protein, high, 120 D.P..
BRIESS 6-ROW. Mid-western, high D.P..
GREAT WESTERN 2-ROW. 3L, 50% Klages/50% Harrington, low protein, high D.P..
GERMAN PILSNER 2-ROW. 3L, 11% low Total protein, 4.4% Soluble protein, moderate D.P..
BELGIAN PILSNER 2-ROW. 2L, 10% low Total protein, 4% Soluble protein, moderate D.P..
GAMBRINUS PALE 2-ROW. 3L, 100% Harrington, 10.9% low Total protein, 5% Soluble protein, 120 high D.P..
ASHBURNE MILD. Well suited for mild ale beers for color and maltiness. Imparts smooth sweet flavor while also adding a full malty flavor. 86 D.P.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
scottland
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,116
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts


Pale Ale Malt is the American equivalent of Marris Otter. It's kilned just a little longer to the 3-4L range. Substitute Marris Otter.
__________________
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
DSmith
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 796
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
I'd like to brew two beers that use Pale Ale Malt: Mirror Pond (the CYBI recipe) and Goose Island Green Line. Mirror Pond uses Great Western and Green Line uses Briess. My LHBS doesn't carry either of those so I'm hoping someone can suggest something similar from the following list base malts they do carry. Thanks!

GOLDEN PROMISE, 2.3L - 3.0L, THOMAS FAWCETT & SONS. A Plae Ale base malt, grown in Scotland. Produces a sweet, mellow wort. Excellent for general brewing and distilling.
ENGLISH PALE. Maris Otter 2-row, 4L, low protein, well modified, low D.P..
BELGIAN EXPORT PALE. 2-row, 4L, well modified, 10% low Total protein, 4% Soluble protein, low D.P..
GAMBRINUS ESB PALE. 2-row Harrington, well modified, 3L, 10.9% low Total protein, 5% Soluble protein, high, 120 D.P..
BRIESS 6-ROW. Mid-western, high D.P..
GREAT WESTERN 2-ROW. 3L, 50% Klages/50% Harrington, low protein, high D.P..
GERMAN PILSNER 2-ROW. 3L, 11% low Total protein, 4.4% Soluble protein, moderate D.P..
BELGIAN PILSNER 2-ROW. 2L, 10% low Total protein, 4% Soluble protein, moderate D.P..
GAMBRINUS PALE 2-ROW. 3L, 100% Harrington, 10.9% low Total protein, 5% Soluble protein, 120 high D.P..
ASHBURNE MILD. Well suited for mild ale beers for color and maltiness. Imparts smooth sweet flavor while also adding a full malty flavor. 86 D.P.
It appears you can get the Great Western (3L) 2-Row pale malt. Their other 2-Row is about 2L (link below). You should verify with your LHBS what they carry because the differences in color are small and could be mislabeled.

http://greatwesternmalting.com/our-products/bulk-malts

You probably can't go wrong with malts #1-#4 & #6 (if it truely is the 3L pale ale malt).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
jwalker1140
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Glendale, CA
Posts: 571
Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts


Guys, thanks for the replys. Re: the Great Western 2-row, I think the info above (copied from their website) is wrong and is actually 2L. That's their main domestic 2-row, which they sell for less than every other malt. Everything else is in bins but the GW is left in the sacks with big scoops. I was under the impression that MO was darker than domestic Pale Ale Malt, but I do love the taste of it. I've never used Golden Promise or the Gambrinus ESB Pale but I was wondering if they might be pretty close.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
scottland
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,116
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
Guys, thanks for the replys. Re: the Great Western 2-row, I think the info above (copied from their website) is wrong and is actually 2L. That's their main domestic 2-row, which they sell for less than every other malt. Everything else is in bins but the GW is left in the sacks with big scoops. I was under the impression that MO was darker than domestic Pale Ale Malt, but I do love the taste of it. I've never used Golden Promise or the Gambrinus ESB Pale but I was wondering if they might be pretty close.
Gambrinus Pale would not work.

Gambrinus ESB Pale Malt will. Their ESB malt is a 3.5-4L malt that's meant to mimic English Pale or Marris Otter.

It's the 'Pale Ale Malt' you are looking for. Seriously though, Enligsh Pale, Gambrinus ESB, or any base malt in the 3.5L to 4L range is what you want.
__________________
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
SouthBay
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Olympia, WA
Posts: 465
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts


+1 on the esb malt. Marris otter is a great malt, but the pale ale malt isnt quite as flavorful, imo.
__________________
we blessed your skin
we blessed you with our mark
become a part of the klok
become a gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
billl
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,226
Liked 357 Times on 299 Posts


I'd be more concerned if you weren't going to dump a truckload of hops in your brew. As is, the subtle differences between pale malts are going to be pretty minor player in the flavor mix of a bold IPA.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
kingwood-kid
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
houston
Posts: 1,541
Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts


My LHBS charges the same rate for "premium" base malts and specialty malts. With that in mind, for every 100% Pale Ale Malt, you can sub roughly 93% 2-row and 7% Victory/Biscuit. I'm not going to say it's an exact match, but it will give you similar toasty/bready flavors, gravity and color. As noted by Billl, any minor differences will probably be obscured by the aggressive hopping.
__________________
Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,803
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I'd be more concerned if you weren't going to dump a truckload of hops in your brew. As is, the subtle differences between pale malts are going to be pretty minor player in the flavor mix of a bold IPA.
I believe it was noted in the CYBI recipe for Mirror Pond that the GW Pale Ale malt did make a difference. Your mileage may vary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
jwalker1140
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Glendale, CA
Posts: 571
Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I believe it was noted in the CYBI recipe for Mirror Pond that the GW Pale Ale malt did make a difference. Your mileage may vary.
And that's what I recall too. This recipe certainly has some hops but it's by no means an IPA. The grain bill for Goose Island Green Line is 100% Briess Pale Ale Malt and it only has 30 IBUs so I think the choice of malt, for this beer even more so than for Mirror Pond, will be key. Thanks all for the input. I'm continuously learning.....

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G.Western NW Pale Malt vs Rahr Pale fastricky Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-07-2011 03:31 PM
Stout Malt VS Gambrinus Pale Malt ? SimonPascal Recipes/Ingredients 1 08-24-2010 12:40 PM
U.S. Pale malt or Pilsner malt? Reno_eNVy Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-29-2009 12:09 AM
briess 2-row pale malt versus briess pale ale malt BuzzCraft Recipes/Ingredients 3 05-02-2009 12:10 AM
Using Vienna Malt + Pale malt to replace Marris Otter gregdech Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-15-2008 11:46 PM


Forum Jump