"Oh, I don't like dark beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can categorically affirm that I hate pumpkin beers. I've tried a bunch of them, just can't drink them. Somebody mentioned Wake and Bake, that's another beer I just don't get.
The problem with hating dark beers is that there are so many styles that are dark but unrelated to each other. Dunkel is basically a dark colored helles, there is very little , if any, roasted malt taste to it. Served in an opaque glass or to a blindfolded person I bet few people would ever guess it's a dark beer. Comparing dunkel to stout is like comparing Saison Dupont to Bud Light because they're about the same color.

Ever had Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela? :D

Barely any pumpkin flavor. It's good.

I can categorically affirm that I hate pumpkin beers. I've tried a bunch of them, just can't drink them. Somebody mentioned Wake and Bake, that's another beer I just don't get.
The problem with hating dark beers is that there are so many styles that are dark but unrelated to each other. Dunkel is basically a dark colored helles, there is very little , if any, roasted malt taste to it. Served in an opaque glass or to a blindfolded person I bet few people would ever guess it's a dark beer. Comparing dunkel to stout is like comparing Saison Dupont to Bud Light because they're about the same color.

Who compared a dunkel to a stout? :drunk: From your logic: pumpkin beers aren't stouts either.

Ok... let's say... you can't dislike a beer until you can appreciate it. Can you appreciate pumpkin beers? Can you determine which are great and which are terrible? I don't like most of them because I think they're over spiced. I personally thought that Smashed Pumpkin best supported the flavors common to a standard pumpkin beer. I also think DFH Punkin is quite good, if not a beer I'd want to have 3 of in a sitting. (I wouldn't drink 3 Smashed Pumpkin either... but it's also somewhere around 10% ABV and comes in bombers).

I realize it's all subjective, but that's the point. Unless you can be objective about a beer, you're acting the same as the BMC drinker that doesn't like dark beers.

The topic is dark beer, not stout. Dunkels and stouts happen to be 2 varieties of dark beer.
How many pumpkin beers do I have to drink before I decide I don't like the style? 5? 10? Or do I have to drink every one in existence to be able to prove there isn't one I like? In fact DFH Punkin is the only beer I've tasted in the last 30 years that I could not force myself to finish. I have probably tried 10 or 12 different pumpkin beers and the only one that was even reasonably drinkable was Star Hill pumpkin porter. I finished the bottle but will give the other 2 away. I don't have to "appreciate" something to know I dislike it. There's no process or checklist I have to go through after I take a sip of a beer to know whether I like it or don't, it's an instantaneous reaction. I don't need to research the theory behind Punkin so that I properly appreciate it before I spit it out on the ground and rinse my mouth out.

at a festival this weekend....

(dude in front of me) whats my choice?!...
(brewer) we got our lager...
(dude) oh so thats gonna be dark like boston lager right?....
(brewer)......uhhh no, its light and clean. then we have our double ipa
(dude) OH! thats gonna be light also right??
(brewer) ....noo, its 10% and hoped to 100 IBU's
(dude).....not sure if ill like either. ill take the IPA since i dont like dark beers.....

I was cracking up the whole time

Latest posts

Back