Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Pump in a box - Usefulness is questionable, but a fun little project

Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
notcreative
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pump in a box - Usefulness is questionable, but a fun little project

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box, Step 2: Put yo' junk in that box.

March pump and misc fittings (info via 'TwoHeadsBrewing')

Plano ammo box

Switched Power Socket

Pushing everything in...

Finished product:

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Nice build! You've got a handle now, and a nice clean looking pump to bring out for brewdays! For me the object was to put my entire pump inside the box so the I didn't accidentally break the plastic head.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pump...11/index4.html

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

For my Chugger Pump I wasn't worried about the head so I made a little wooden "carrier".
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
bolts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How is this not overheating? I've had nothing but difficulty with my chugger pumps tripping the thermal saftey. I have to keep a box fan blowing on them to supplement the built in fan.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts View Post
How is this not overheating? I've had nothing but difficulty with my chugger pumps tripping the thermal saftey. I have to keep a box fan blowing on them to supplement the built in fan.
If you're Chugger Pump is overheating then you should contact them to get a replacement. I had that issue with my first Chugger and they shipped out a replacement to me right away. I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

shop@chuggerpumps.com

(866) 921-1340

Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
If you're Chugger Pump is overheating then you should contact them to get a replacement. I had that issue with my first Chugger and they shipped out a replacement to me right away. I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

shop@chuggerpumps.com

(866) 921-1340
Agreed, I've been in contact with Mike and had a new pump sent. However, it had the older small impeller in the head and it still overheats. Great customer service, but not yet satisfied

Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
notcreative
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts View Post
Good point, I haven't used it 'in the box' yet. I considered adding in vents on the bottom (assuming I add legs, etc to it) or a fan, but figured I'd let it run for a bit, and if it's overheating, just take off the top until I get a more permanent solution.

Thanks for the input.
JeffersonJ Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I put a cover over my Chugger pumps and that was enough to cause them to overheat. I contacted Chugger and Mike said to remove the cover because the motors can handle a little splashing. I'm still a little uncomfortable with this so I might try putting some vent holes in the covers.

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 09-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
BobTheFourth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is a pretty cool idea. I think I'm going to do something like this with a plastic toolbox, like the 23" Stanley Fat Max, and put a pump on each end. Since I brew on my deck, it should make transporting the pumping mechanism to and from storage nice and easy. Sounds like I'll need to add a cooling fan or two though.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz
Nice build! You've got a handle now, and a nice clean looking pump to bring out for brewdays! For me the object was to put my entire pump inside the box so the I didn't accidentally break the plastic head.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pump...11/index4.html
Hmmm.... Glad to see that this pump idea took off. I am about to post some photos of the "pump inside a toolbox" V2.0. I've integrated an SSR, PID controller, and controls for a RIMS tube...

Sorry for the off topic thread stealingbpodt, just got me excited to share@

wyzazz Likes This