Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rookie Yeast Starter screw up
Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rookie Yeast Starter screw up

So I got my flask two days ago after returning home from day drinking. I decided to make my starter right then. So I didn't let my yeast warm up to pitching temp, may not have cleaned/sterilized properly and probably didn't boil long enough. Sloppy drunk. I did some aeration and keep doing it occasionally but all that happen for 36 hours was the yeast would settle out immediately and then I think a little started going into suspension and fermenting. However I didn't really know how weird a yeast starter would smell and not being experienced I stood up, got stressed, and did not have a homebrew. I thought everything combined that the extremely yeasty and slightly sour smell was an infected starter due to a shocked yeast at pitching. Well I had another packet of liquid yeast that would work for my upcoming beer so I pitched out my starter, carefully brewed a new batch, and pitched a new yeast pack into a flask. So this was a smack pack that was well inflated and lite off like a champ. Turns out it smells exactly like the old batch. So lesson learned is that yeast in a starter smells kinda sour and like bad yeasty bread. Also sit back, relax, and have a homebrew.

Seperate note - the stir plate is on the way

Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 22

yep, it does. a yeast starter smells like something a dog threw up, generally
One mans' beer is another mans' issue. Touch my beer and see if we don't have issues.