Watery Beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Watery Beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
BVilleggiante
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Posts: 328
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



The beer I've been brewing seems watery to me and lacking in flavor. I don't believe it's my recipes, but I really notice it in my reds and browns. I'm wondering if it's just the style? My only other thought, which I don't think is right, but I use 1.5 quarts water per lb. of grain and I know most people use around 1.25 quarts of water per grain. Any thoughts on that?
__________________
Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,762
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
The beer I've been brewing seems watery to me and lacking in flavor. I don't believe it's my recipes, but I really notice it in my reds and browns. I'm wondering if it's just the style? My only other thought, which I don't think is right, but I use 1.5 quarts water per lb. of grain and I know most people use around 1.25 quarts of water per grain. Any thoughts on that?
I use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, but in my stout I go with 1.75 quarts/pound.

It could be your ingredients, and/or your mashing temperature. What is a typical recipe that you find watery, and what's the mash temperature? How do you sparge?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Primevci
 
Primevci's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Battle Ground, Washington
Posts: 359
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Is this after its carbed
__________________
Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
BVilleggiante
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Posts: 328
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Hey Yooper,

Was really hoping you'd see this as I have a high respect for your opinion/posts. I've attached an example of my red ale. Mashing temperature is at 150 degrees and I fly sparge and to this point have always met my estimated OG.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	76119  
__________________
Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
BVilleggiante
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Posts: 328
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Yes, this is carbed in a keg at 2.5 volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
Is this after its carbed
__________________
Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,762
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
Hey Yooper,

Was really hoping you'd see this as I have a high respect for your opinion/posts. I've attached an example of my red ale. Mashing temperature is at 150 degrees and I fly sparge and to this point have always met my estimated OG.
Definitely increase the mash temperature! A mash temp of 150 is fine for something you want to finish thin, crisp, and dry. Like a cream ale or light American lager. But if you want a fuller mouthfeel, definitely increase that temperature! How sure are you that you're holding temperature during the mash? If the temperature is dropping, that could be even worse!

I mash my stout at 156/158, and many other beers at 154. Try the higher mash temp.

How about your sparging technique? Are you mashing out? Starting your boil right away?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
BVilleggiante
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Posts: 328
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Ok, I thought I might be too low on this as well and was planning to try 154 my next brew. Great to hear I was headed in the right direction. I know I'm holding temperature as I use MoreBeers Smart Recirculation System with a Ranco telling me grain temp and a second built in thermometer as a backup.

I fly sparge for 1.5 hours. I've determined this to be too long, and for me 45 min. is too short (don't reach my estimated OG), so I'm going to go for 60 minutes next time. As soon as my wort is transfered I boil right away and have a good rolling boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Definitely increase the mash temperature! A mash temp of 150 is fine for something you want to finish thin, crisp, and dry. Like a cream ale or light American lager. But if you want a fuller mouthfeel, definitely increase that temperature! How sure are you that you're holding temperature during the mash? If the temperature is dropping, that could be even worse!

I mash my stout at 156/158, and many other beers at 154. Try the higher mash temp.

How about your sparging technique? Are you mashing out? Starting your boil right away?
__________________
Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,762
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
Ok, I thought I might be too low on this as well and was planning to try 154 my next brew. Great to hear I was headed in the right direction. I know I'm holding temperature as I use MoreBeers Smart Recirculation System with a Ranco telling me grain temp and a second built in thermometer as a backup.

I fly sparge for 1.5 hours. I've determined this to be too long, and for me 45 min. is too short (don't reach my estimated OG), so I'm going to go for 60 minutes next time. As soon as my wort is transfered I boil right away and have a good rolling boil.
Is that a RIMS? I've never seen the system, so I"m not sure what it is. I assume you're mashing out before sparging, so that should be fine even if you take a long time to sparge as you should denature the enzymes through the mashout/sparge period and hold the mash profile of the wort.

A 60 minute sparge would be good- mine is usually shorter but I'm an inpatient person.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
BVilleggiante
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Posts: 328
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Hey Yooper,

It's a HERMS System. I'm indeed mashing out before sparging at 168 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Is that a RIMS? I've never seen the system, so I"m not sure what it is. I assume you're mashing out before sparging, so that should be fine even if you take a long time to sparge as you should denature the enzymes through the mashout/sparge period and hold the mash profile of the wort.

A 60 minute sparge would be good- mine is usually shorter but I'm an inpatient person.
__________________
Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Grain Beer Tastes Watery Iniquity All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 21 04-22-2011 03:01 PM
My Beer Tastes Watery ewienclawski All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 12-09-2010 03:32 PM
Watery Beer Help. cbiblis All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 11-20-2010 03:21 PM
Watery Beer BeerGrills All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 26 06-14-2009 04:36 PM
Watery Beer jmmoore7 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 11-17-2006 07:14 PM


Forum Jump