after fermentation fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
Hi, There are a couple pics below and just a quick question.

I had made a wit that had fermented dry about a week and a half ago.

I was letting the sediment settle and it has started to re-ferment anew.

I was thinking this could be some kind of MLF or something but I am not very

versed in brewing beer.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

Tony

and yes in the first pick that is something stuck to the side of the glass carboy ... which is new sense the re-fermentation started

0916122256.jpg

0916122257.jpg

Have the temperatures changed? Moving the fermenter, or changing the temp can release gases from the wort. Which would look like bubbling but bubbling doesn't guarantee fermentation.

If the temperature has increased it could have roused the yeast to begin going at the sugars once again.

Lastly it could be an infection if you didn't sanitize properly or opened the top and did something along those lines. However, the top of the wort seems normal to me (no expert in infections though). And the white junk on the sides I have had before with wlp550 (smaller though) but no clue as to what it is. I would guess that its proteins settling out, but someone else likely knows this area more than I.

Relax, wait it out, take a reading when you think its done and don't forget to taste a sample.

no real temp change and the carboy has not moved ...
I am sure it had already fermented dry and the hydrometer reading was .990

there were no bubble on the top before this started ... it does look just like a regular ferment and the beer smells great but its weird
that its going again with no sugars left and its not just for a few hours or days it has been doing this for a week.

is it possible that there is something else going on here?

are you sure that reading was accurate? thats incredibly low for a beer

Agreed- beer should never get to .990. If it did, something is very very wrong. The lowest I've ever had a beer go was 1.007. and that was by design.

If you're at .990, you must have had wild yeast and/or infection, plus a ton of sugar/simple sugars for fermentables. Beer just isn't able to go as low as wine, partly due to alcohol % (alcohol is lighter than water) and partly due to malt sugars not being 100% fermentable.

I'd recheck the SG first thing.

Back